When should a puppy go to two meals a day?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Yvonne, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Hello All, I live in the United States...my puppy Cooper is 16-1/2 weeks old and weighs 42 pounds. Vet informed me on last visit 1 week ago that he can now go to 2 meals a day (right now he is eating 3/4 cup dry food three times a day). It would mean two meals of 1-1/2 cups each.
    I can't imagine Cooper going on a twice a day program.....he is even looking for MORE food right after he finishes eating his meal!!! I do realize labs are chow hounds but it just seems too early to go on twice a day. What do you all think?

2. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Re: When should a puppy go to two meals a day?

Pongo has been on two meals a day since he was ten weeks old, so I'd say it would be fine. (Pongo is now seven months old and yes, he believes that he is permanently starving; but I think he'd be starving even if he had six meals a day...)

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I think we went down to 2 meals a day around 12 weeks, but I don't think we did anything as per advice ::)

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We went from four to three at twelve weeks :)

5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

We didn't go on to two meals a day until they were 6 months old. they tend to give up the midday one on their own.

6. Debs

Debs Registered Users

I thought that puppies stayed on three meals until they are 6 months old?

7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley will turn 1 next week and she went onto 2 meals a day a month ago. Before this, she would have bad tummies when I changed from 3 to 2. We only changed as she stopped eating in the morning completely, so she now eats at about 12.30pm and 7.30pm. I think it does depend on the dog :)

8. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Molly went down to 2 meals a day at around 6 months.

9. LovelyLittleLola

LovelyLittleLola Registered Users

Only just gone to 2 at 7 months old. Tried about 2 weeks before and Lola got so hungry that she ate her tea too fast and puked everything back up. Her stomach clearly wasn't ready yet.

10. biorus

biorus Registered Users

Hi Yvonne,

That is a good question. I wonder if the total amount of food per day is more important than how it is spaced out? I had fed our older dog two meals a day (I don't remember the exact age but I would guess young) and that worked out good because of work. There was no way for anyone to be home for a lunch time meal.

My husband is now retired. We have a new puppy, Kailey (almost 6 months old) and our older dog Dee-Nee (12+) are on a three meal a day schedule and have lunch when my husband has lunch. It seems to work fine. I guess I will ask the vet if there is a health reason to go to two or if it is just an option.

biorus

11. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

I had read that puppies went from 3 to 2 meals a day when they turned 6 months.
    Vet said he is big enough now at 16-1/2 weeks old to go to two, that his stomach should be able to take the increased amount of dry food. But I agree with all of you that it truly depends on the dog. He is hungry all the time....so imagine he will be eating the walls in between the two meals!! I think I'm going to wait a bit longer....until he is 6 months. Thanks for all your answers....

12. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

We were 6 months when we went down to 2 meals a day

13. Boogie

This is what Guide Dogs do for their pups feeding -

6 to 12 weeks - four meals
    12 to 16 weeks - three meals
    24 weeks to 12 months - two meals
    12 months onwards - one meal

I did the same with Tatze except that, as an adult, she remains on two meals.

:)

14. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

I put Penny down onto two meals at six months of age, probably the reason I waited so long was that she was particularly tiny as a puppy. Otherwise I might have done it at 4 months - the age your pup is now.

I think if the vet is recommending it then there's no need to worry as they wouldn't tell you to do unless necessary.

15. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Hi again Yvonne

Looking at the 'how much does your puppy weigh' thread, it looks like Cooper is a big boy for his age - just like my Pongo. So I'm sure that is why the vet is saying it will be OK to go to two meals - his stomach will be well-developed and able to manage just fine.

But of course it is up to you!

Rosie

16. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Is there any sound physiological reason for feeding dogs twice, and in some cases only once a day?

Molly is 'drip fed' throughout the day with Kongs, treat balls etc. She seems to have a very stable digestive system.

17. Teena Ann

Teena Ann Registered Users

I agree with Stacia sometimes dogs go off the midday meal on their own i had a personal experience with my puppy Cooper who went off his lunch wen he was around 6 months now he is 15 months and i feed him 2 times a day morning i feed him 1-1[sup]1/2[/sup] cups of RC wid milk nd at dinner he gets rice nd meat or eggs or veggies for variation..:):) don wry yvonne it all depends on u nd ur puppy but neva over feed him tc

18. lablover

lablover Registered Users

Hi Yvonne, from what I can remember meg went on to 2 meals a day when she was about 6 months. (she's an old girl now 14) That was on advice from vet. Strange thing is prior to seeing vet she decided she didn't want her midday meal any more. They're amazing it's like they know they've got to stop having midday meal.

19. Boogie

[quote author=Mollly link=topic=7108.msg97492#msg97492 date=1406449118]
    Is there any sound physiological reason for feeding dogs twice, and in some cases only once a day?

Molly is 'drip fed' throughout the day with Kongs, treat balls etc. She seems to have a very stable digestive system.
    [/quote]

My niece's dog, Bryn, has his food down all day and just takes some when he feels like it - he's perfectly fit, well and healthy :)

Of course, Guide Dogs must have very predictable spending (pooing and weeing) habits as they mustn't to to the toilet in harness. So their feeding must be regular too.

;D

20. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Thank you ALL.....appreciate the input. I can't imagine Cooper giving up his mid-day meal but seems as though it does happen. I may stretch it out a few more weeks to when he is six months old ... guess I just feel sorry for him! He is ALWAYS looking for more food, treats, petting, stroking, attention!!!
    Have a good day!