When to drop to 2 meals a day

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Puppypal, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

When is the best time to drop down to two meals a day, puzzle is just over 4 months old and 18 1/2 weeks old, is it too early to put her on 2 meals a day, i would fade it out by making the meal smaller and smaller and replacing it with a small chew then get rid of it completly, so it is very graduall and i do not drop her in the deep end. Or do i move her lunch meal later buy say 1/2 every couple of days until it clashes with her evening meal, or is that not advised.

I know it is something simple, but she is our first puppy so we have not had to go through this stage before.

2. Tillydyes

Tillydyes Registered Users

Re: When to drop to 2 meals a day

Taken from the main site

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/?p=912

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie stared on 3 meals, this is what he came on from the breeder, went to 2 meals a day at about 4.5 months, but by 6 months he wasn't getting any! Just training treats. Now, he sometimes gets meals (if there is enough food left over) and sometimes doesn't. He has just stopped "expecting" meals, and doesn't miss them when they don't appear (well, sometimes he'll sit in the kitchen for a few seconds, glare at me, then sigh). I think they adjust pretty rapidly to whatever the routine is (or randomness in Charlie's case).

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

it's good to keep him guessing Julie ;)