When to say goodbye?

Discussion in 'Labradors in the News' started by pippa@labforumHQ, Jun 2, 2011.

1. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

2. dogwalker

dogwalker Guest

Re: When to say goodbye?

dogs are part of the family you do what you have to do im glad it worked out for them

3. dogwalker

dogwalker Guest

we had to get one of our dogs put down last year we was in egypt on our honey moon at the time they was nothing we could do it spolt the honeymoon the worst thing was coming home to pick a box of ashes up on the day we got home and it hit me for six i found it hard walking one dog when we have allways had 2 so we had to go and get another dog i will never forget him he was my 1st dog

4. dogwalker

dogwalker Guest

i forgot to say the hardest thing was i never got to say goodbye to him

5. Paul

Paul Registered Users

There is no two ways about it, it is a very difficult time when our Dogs reach the age when nature starts taking over.

We have loved/cared and given them the very best that we can and they repay us endlessly with uncompromising love. However when we take on a young Pup or elder Animal we know that one day the inevitable will happen, but there is one thing certain - It is never easy and I personally think that it gets harder each time! However we all have a responsibility to do what is the right.

I have had the privilege to have owned and worked some wonderful Dogs, each and every one of them special in their own way. It is a very hard decision to "Time it right", I tend to rely on the look in their eyes, this in my own way lets me know.

The story attached to this message is very touching, quite obviously very caring owners but also they were lucky enough to be able to afford to have Surgery when others not so fortunate may have had to make another decision.

When the unfortunate time comes we have to stand up and do the best for the Animal, not nice, not easy but hey that what we know that one day we have to do. Just my opinion and I sincerely hope that this has caused no upset to any readers.

Paul.

6. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Paul

I am sure your post will not have caused offence. :)

I think that these decisions are becoming far harder for people to make because of the advances in veterinary science. There is so much that we can do now for dogs that would have simply had to be put down twenty or even ten years ago. Unfortunately advanced surgical techniques and medicines come at such a high price, that some owners find themselves in the position of choosing between their pet’s life, and possibly years of debt.

With a single pet, insurance is probably the best option, but for those of us with many dogs, it is a huge annual cost.

I guess there is no right answer here. I am not sure though that I would have decided to have a twelve year old dog go through surgery, but I am very glad that in this case it seems to have worked out well.

Pippa

7. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

I think losing a faithful friend is always hard (especially during your honeymoon, dogwalker!) but the tragic thing about the expensive advances in science is that the decision to put a dog down is so often tinged with guilt or doubt now. Because there is so often something that COULD be done to prolong your dog's life. We have to weigh up not just what CAN be done, but what SHOULD be done, in terms not just of preventing suffering but of preserving funds for other things, like electricity bills, or just the ambition to live debt free.

And there is a horrible grey area between what you can afford and what you should afford. (Do we spend the rent money on Fido's surgery? We CAN....we shouldn't. How about little Tommy's university fund?). And then there is the difference between what you have (£25 Mr Vet, no problem) and what you can get (ie borrow!) if you really need to. And if you decide not to intervene - to have your dog put to sleep perhaps - there is always going to be a part of you that wonders, was it the money that stopped me? And if so, was that wrong?

Just my thought for the day!

Sam.