When to spay female pup?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by MandyRae, Feb 28, 2018.

1. MandyRae

MandyRae Registered Users

Just after advice on when to spay a female pup. Getting very mixed advice. Pretty sure my breeder told me 5 months, my vet told me they start from 4 months, I read online 6 months? Suggestions?... she will be 4 months next week. She is 10.6kg when would she go through her first heat? As I would like to do it before then if possible

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I had my first girl Willow done before her first season at 6.5 months. I now think this was too young and will let any girls go through at least one season in future. Luna had her first season at 11 months and is due her second in the next month or so. I haven’t yet made the decision on whether she will be spayed or not but I want her to finish maturing physically and emotionally first.

3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I usually wait until they've had a first season and are physically and mentally mature my last girl was spayed when she was about 15 months old.

Jacqui Neil, MandyRae and CMartin like this.
  4. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

My vet advised me to spay my girl at 6 months, before her first season. But I read, and was told, spaying early can interfere with her development and maturity. She had her first season at 10.5 months and was spayed at 15 months (if you decide to spay after a season you need to time it around 3 months after the end of the season).

On another note, my girl had a laparoscopic spay which is a less invasive procedure with only the ovaries removed and not the uterus. It has a faster and less painful recovery and two tiny incisions and no stitches. However, not every vet performs this procedure and it is more expensive.

MandyRae likes this.
  5. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

These articles are now about 10 years old but still well regarded on the pros and cons of spay and neuter and the age at which to do it. My boy is intact, my next girl I probably will not spay till about two years old.

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf
    Long-Term Health Risks and Benefits Associated with Spay / Neuter in Dogs
    Laura J. Sanborn, M.S.
    May 14, 2007

http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/pdf...ma.231.11.1665
    Determining the optimal age for gonadectomy of dogs and cats,
    Margaret V. Root Kustritz, dvm, phd, dact

MandyRae likes this.
  6. Edp

Edp Registered Users

In my part of the UK (Northern England) its usually 3 months after first season :)

MandyRae likes this.