When to spay?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by daydreaming, Jul 22, 2016.

1. daydreaming

daydreaming Registered Users

Hi all! I haven't posted in a bit. Missy is growing up fast; she lost 2 teeth today!! I found both :) She is about 50 lbs now and just turned 5 months.

I was wondering what the most beneficial age to spay is?

bonus: pics!!
    (Missy is lab, great Pyrenees, boarder collie :) )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Naya and MF like this.
  2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

She's so pretty! Hope the tooth fairy visits :)

3. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

What a gorgeous combination! She has a lovely face.

4. IreneM

IreneM Registered Users

Beautiful puppy

5. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Shes really grown into the most beautiful young girl.

My last female was very small and not very mature so I didn't spay until after her first season. She benefited from that extra time and it worked well for her. There is loads of stuff out their to read and lots of people on the site will give you great advise but in the end it will be your desision. Just do what you feel will be right for your girl and don't feel pressurised take you time.

6. Cath

Cath Registered Users

What a beautiful girl. I usually have male dogs and left them entire, but this year we got my first female dog. With having her brother already living with us, Annie had laparoscopic spay surgery at 6 months old.
    She went in for half a day and came home and slept. Next day you would not of thought she had anything done to her. She has been fine and grown into a lovely dog. Annie was the runt of her litter and was small when we first got her, but her growth in normal now. I was like you and didn't know what was best for her, but talked to people on this site and of course our vet.
    Like Sdegg said it is your decision and you will know what is the best for your girl. Just take your time and think about it.

7. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

What an absolutely gorgeous girl, and OMG those ears....I'm a sucker for fluffy ears....she is certainly growing into a beautiful dog :heart:

8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

9. Joy

Joy Registered Users

She is beautiful!

10. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

no advice to offer - just to say she is so beautiful, what a great cross.

11. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I have had two bitches spayed before their first season and two afterwards and no discernable difference. The earlier the spay the risk of mammary cancer is very low. I do advocate spaying because I have seen bitches with pyometra and mammary tumours. However, each to his own.

12. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I think it depends on what you mean by "beneficial." Healthwise, in my readings, it's a pretty close draw between spaying at all and to never spay. When you read make sure to note the incidence of pyo, etc in entire and how it changes with spay. For me, if I get a girl, probably the long bone growth will sway me most and it won't be till about two years old, if ever. Except I do have an intact male.

Behavioural there is startling evidence that some aggression problems already existing will be made worse, only in girls, not boys. Weird. That probably is not a concern but it's very interesting and it's here:

http://www.cdoca.org/downloads/files...20Behavior.pdf
    Non-reproductive Effects of Spaying and Neutering on Behavior in Dogs
    Deborah L. Duffy, Ph.D., and James A. Serpell, Ph.D., Center for the Interaction of
    Animals and Society, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania

Societal pressures such as Doggy Day Care who will not take an entire dog, ditto boarding and training, higher licesnsing fees for entire dogs might sway you. Then there is your own personal situation, if you are able to walk off leash and lots of intact males walk off leash (or run loose) too you may find you and your girl stuck in your own yard for a month. Good luck with this decision.

FWIW my first girl was spayed at 4 years and the second at 9 months. The first did develop urinary incontinence, she might have anyway. The one at 9 months never had any joint problems. My own statistically insignificant experience.

13. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

She is so cute!

We chose to go with a spay at 6 months which is very much the norm here and recommended by our vet. I wanted the piece of mind as well, there are lots of entire males at dog parks and out and about and most dog walkers or day cares require a spay/neuter by around 8 months. We had a traditional spay which took her a few days to bounce back from but went well and healed perfectly.

14. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I first discussed spaying with my vet when Juno was 12 weeks old having her second vaccination and was happy to go with the recommendation to have her spayed at 5.5 months. She had a traditional spay and you would not have known she had had the operation the next day and she healed with no problems. There have been no behavioural problems and her growth has been normal. For me an early spay was the most sensible option but every owner has to make their own decision based upon their own circumstances

15. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I'm thinking about type of spay if I have another girl it'd seemd do much better than a big op

16. Naya

Naya Registered Users

My girl had to have an emergency spay at about 11 months old due to pyometra. She had her first season at 9 months and it was a very long 6 weeks of lead only walks as she bled longer than normal! About 4 weeks after her season we went to the vets for a lump on her head (turns out it was an Ingrowing hair follicle!), anyway, the vet noticed a bit of discharge then examined her closer and recommended an immediate spay. If we didn't she wouldn't of been here today as it was advanced, but she had no noticeable symptoms!
    If I had another girl I would let her have a season then spay as soon as possible after this.

17. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

We have a 7 month old very lanky girl. She has a fair bit of growing and maturing to do, so we are aiming to spay after her first season, depends though when it is, and how she is developing. I want to wait until all the growing has been done and from a psychological perspective I am happy she is steady and mature

18. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

I have no idea when I'll spay my girl. In NZ we spay/neuter and we do it when they're young. My vet is a young English dude so it'll be interesting to hear his thoughts when I bring Xena in for her jabs next week. It had never occurred to me to let a bitch have her first season...I'm really at a loss.

19. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

There is a different attitude towards desexing in the UK. People wait much longer than they do in Australia or NZ where the typical practice is to desex at 6 months and not wait till a bitch has a season. There isn't a strong rationale for waiting till after the first season - it seems to be a cultural thing.

MaccieD likes this.
  20. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

BEfore six months is pushed here too. My sister's Vet told her the price would double if her girl was done after 6 months. My VEt told me before 6 months it was a set price and after, for my boy, it would go by weight. But, a bit distressing, when I found the Sanborn and Kustritz articles and took them with me to my Vet she changed her mind. She said we could wait till 18 months. Huh?