where do you dogs sleep....

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by debsie, May 1, 2013.

1. debsie

debsie Registered Users

Still tittering about the recent posts of dogs on beds....so.....where do your dogs sleep? my two have recently been de crated at night and have the choice of where to sleep in my room, beds on floors and vet beds too....Brodick took one look at me in bed, hopped up happily, and for the past month or so has been SO cuddled up next to me its sometimes a little difficult to turn over...I do make him start the night at the bottom of the bed, but he just sneaks up as soon as I nod off and assumes The Cuddling Position. Until recently Cuilli was starting out on the bed too then hopping down into her own bed next to me, but has recently decided she wants to adopt Cuddle Position too and we are currently engaged in a Silent War as to who gets to sleep next to me. Cuillin now belts in the door after her wee and leaps onto the bed and lies there with her eyes shut . I'm asleep. You can't move me...Brods looks sad and mopes about until I shove Cuillin over and make room for both of them.....he just hasn't twigged yet that as he gets first wee at night, he should get in there first. bless him. bed is appallingly hairy, I know its probably very unhygenic, I've been told I'm elevating their status by letting them sleep with me, but there is something lovely about it....so fess up anyone else let them sleep with you?!

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: where do you dogs sleep....

Obi is on the bed beside me, gnawing on his stag bar. He likes to sleep in between hubby and me, but on top of the duvet. The duvet is not wide enough to accommodate the hills and troughs formed by this sleeping arrangement and still provide coverage of all occupants. The bodies on the outside (humans) spend the night clawing at the edges of the bedding in a vain quest to find some scrap of fabric with which to shield themselves from the elements. The dog, on the other hand, is snug as a bug in a rug.

Yes, we need a much wider duvet.

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Sam has ever only spent one night on our bed , when he was de plumbed and felt sorry for himself, have to say that at 37 kilos , I`m quite pleased that he isnt interested in our bed as a rule :)
    He has a huge cushion that he starts off the evening on, then comes onto the sofa for a snuggle with me . According to Paul, the second I go to bed, he stretches out on the sofa and that where I always find him in the mornings :)

4. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=1463.msg10090#msg10090 date=1367406416]
    Obi is on the bed beside me, gnawing on his stag bar. He likes to sleep in between hubby and me, but on top of the duvet. The duvet is not wide enough to accommodate the hills and troughs formed by this sleeping arrangement and still provide coverage of all occupants. The bodies on the outside (humans) spend the night clawing at the edges of the bedding in a vain quest to find some scrap of fabric with which to shield themselves from the elements. The dog, on the other hand, is snug as a bug in a rug.

Yes, we need a much wider duvet.
    [/quote]
    Heehee that is soooo familiar, especially the bit about the humans clawing at the duvet. We have two labs, grateful they are both skinny working types. Lochan tends to curl at the foot of the bed with Tarkie in between us taking up all the duvet like Obi. Works well until we go on holiday and there is no foot board for Lochan to lie against. Cue loud thump in the night as distressed labrador falls off the bed....

5. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

This is now widely believed to be nonsense. Unless a dog attempts to 'resource guard a bed', then there is no reason why you should not sleep with your dog if it suits you. Personally I don't think I would be able to sleep a wink with my lot on the bed, and they are not allowed upstairs. :D Three sleep in the kitchen, and two in the utility room. My two older spaniels are allowed on the sofa in the evening, when invited. Which is not very often because they don't sit still for very long.

Pippa

6. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

No more room in our bed, we often get a visit from my 4 year old.

7. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Rileys not allowed upstairs :(

Husband is very firm that boy dogs leak and they're not allowed on the furniture so it's on the floor for us when we want a cuddle :)

8. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

i have de crated jasper, he sleeps in the kitchen, but jumps on my knee for cuddles, my son wants him bed with him, its not for me him being in my bed tho :)

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

My old boys always slept in my bed, until I met the Other Half, who has strong opinions about Dogs Should Sleep In Their Own Beds... ::)

Of course, as soon as his back is turned Pops is back in bed with me... And very comforting it is too!

But I have to say, NOT having the dogs in the bed does mean the bed is cleaner. Actually, a LOT cleaner... :eek:

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hattie & Charlie have a cuddle with me at night when I am watching TV in bed, then when it's time to go to sleep David comes for them and off they go to their own beds. :D Helen x

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Like Helen, Lilly gets up on the bed for a cuddle, then when its lights off, she gets ousted - has a soft basket at the bottom of the stairs. Our bedroom is downstairs and kids are upstairs.

Recently we have "lost" the crate - didn't put it back up after her wee holiday break - coping ok without.
    Evening she is always upside down on her beanbag in the sitting room :)
    She does sometimes get to stay up all night but makes for an uncomfy night in spite of a king sze duvet on a double bed.

Morning routine is Lilly toddling through between 6 and 7am (if I'm lucky) and giving a quiet whine repeatedly until we pat the bed to let her up. Cheeky dog.

jac

12. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=1463.msg10114#msg10114 date=1367443682]
    Evening she is always upside down on her beanbag in the sitting room :)
    [/quote]

Brilliant picture :)

13. David

David Registered Users

Lady used to sleep in my daughter's bedroom on her bed on the floor, but since she's been with us she sleeps under the kitchen table at night. She's not normally allowed upstairs, but I allow her up now and again if I'm on my own for a long time and I'm working in the office which is a converted bedroom. Lady usually settles on the half landing partly up the stairs because she can survey the street from there.

She shares our bedroom when we are on holiday.

14. debsie

debsie Registered Users

Heh heh....clawing at the edges of the bedding....that sounds like me! Think a king size duvet for my double bed might be the answer too. Glad i' m not the only one. Righto off to shove them both over a bit to give me more than twelve centimetres of bed space....