where do your dogs sleep ?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by lynnelogan, Sep 2, 2013.

1. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

from day one of getting jasper my son wanted him to sleep with him in his bed, this was not meant to be :(

having never had a dog before, we did not know what to expect, read all you like but the real thing is so much different ....we started him in a crate in the kitchen in feb, we left the heating on as it was so cold,.....mark tried to get him into his bed room but jasper was a live wire,.....took him out of his cage at 4 month , big gamble, gamble paid off, son tried again in his bed room to no avail ,.......now for the big one he as gone into my sons bed room for his first real sleep over tonight :),,,,,,,bought him a new mat today that he is ok with , my mark son messaged me mum don't text back he as settled, ....of course i text back to say start a s you mean to go on, if he hears a phone so what,,,,,,,,,i am really hoping it works as jasper is his baby :) i am sure it will be the best thing for them both ,,,,, will let you know how the first night went :) fingers crossed my boy will be fine :) .....juat where others sleep and a what age please :)

2. lynnelogan

Re: where do your dogs sleep ?

[​IMG]
    from day one

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

So cute :)

Obi (1.5 years) has recently started sleeping on his own bed which is in our bedroom, after many months of just sleeping directly on our bed. We didn't encourage him to make the change - he just did (which we are happy about). At about 6am he gets up on our bed for a cuddle.

4. lynnelogan

awh bless, he his lay on his bed ,i am sure my son will shout him up for a cuddle in the morning, i hope it goes well x

5. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Well, I've never wanted my dogs to sleep ON the bed, but I like them in the bedroom with us. Simba has been bounced around from room to room and also shut OUT of rooms a lot this summer, due to us being away.

But since we've been back he's been sleeping in our bedroom, on the floor. I am thinking I will get him a mat once my bank account recovers somewhat from the California adventure.... :)

However, truth be told, my previous dog slept on the floor in our bedroom his whole life. I didn't get him a bed/mat, as he preferred to sleep UNDER the bed. :eek:

6. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

Amy is still in her create downstairs. She isn't allowed upstairs as its the boys play area so not very safe for her. Sometimes its not safe for us either! Last night I was trying to sort out the youngest boys room while he slept!

7. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Thats a lovely photo of Jasper Lynne :)
    Living in a bungalow makes it harder to keep dogs out of the bedrooms ::) Sam doesnt seem that bothered about going into the bedrooms thank goodness, unless he isnt feeling well, then he wants a cuddle . Vast majority of the time they both sleep in the sitting room , Sam starts off on his big cushions but black hairs on the sofa throw tell the true sleeping place :)

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Poppy usually sleeps in the living room on the sofa, but when the OH is away she sleeps in my bed... ::) My son will be arriving from Boston tomorrow for a visit YAY!!! and I am certain she'll cuddle up with him in his bedroom! :)

9. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Oooh Karen you've had some lovely visits this summer :)

Riley sleeps in the kitchen and isn't allowed upstairs. I'd have him on the sofa and the bed but OH is adamant no dogs on the furniture. When I see the state of his bed I'm probably not sorry ::)

We move his bed round so he has a bed or mat in whichever room we're in. We've always made Lizzie leave him alone when he's eating or in his bed. Those are his safe places, free from toddler cuddles and kisses which is very cute but I'm not sure he enjoys them as much as lizzie (or us). His nose tends to get a bit close to our food too sometimes so he gets sent to wait on his mat or in his bed which is handy.

10. lynnelogan

the night went well, he slept in my sons bedroom all night, just lay on his mat,...think this will be his new sleeping place,........ :).....i will have to sleep in my sons bed room when he is away ;) wont have him in my bed room :)

11. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

for barley's first 2 weeks with us he slept in the kitchen which he was not very pleased about and told all the neighbors about it at 2 in the morning and he would not shut up until 6 when he would finally decide to go to sleep. he only got moved out of the kitchen after he discovered food came from there and it was not safe for him as he would try and scavenge anything remotely edible, according to him the frying pan handle makes a great tasty midnight snack ::). Since that he sleeps in the hall at the bottom the stairs on his mat, he has had loads of beds but he keeps chewing them so he has to suffer with a mat at the moment, which is not the best for his joints but it is his own fault. He prefers sleeping there as he can watch the front door for any intruders, he is not allowed upstairs because of all the hair he deposits so we have a stair gate to stop him from going up when we are not looking

Puzzle from night one she slept in her cage downstairs, first 2 nights in the living room with me sleeping on the sofa next to her cage, then for the rest of the time she sleeps in the dining room which is closer to the back door and she can see barley

12. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Dex is gated off from the kitchen in the utility room,he has his crate in there with his bedding and door left open now,we stopped locking him in a week ago because he was banging his tail too much in the morning greeting ritual.i slept on the couch 4 nights with him by my side to further reduce the bashing of tail in the morning greeting and to make sure he didn't choke on the splint I was using( I'm a light sleeper and think I heard every,sigh,rustle and change of position ::)) he got up on me one night.....( he's not allowed on the furniture)and because it was dark and I was pretending to be asleep I just made the most of it and had a right old cuddle!!!!but he got down after a bit and settled down again on the floor.Hes not allowed upstairs....not dog proofed up there and we have loads of overnight visitors so we decided to keep it dog free.We always made him sit and stay at the bottom of the stairs and gradually built the times up.....he did used to creep up but wed just take him down and reposition him,now I can have a shower and he'll wait.....we've also started leaving his baby gate open for short periods so he is unsupervised in the whole of the downstairs........no incidents yet........ :eek:

13. lynnelogan

jasper is a cushion muncher, so all of his beds he as chomped his way through them......its the first time i have tried a mat seems fine with it, going getting him a plastic bed today, see how he takes to that, :)........think if an intruder was to come into our house he would lick them to death, :)
    he is definitely no guard dog
    i just want him to be comfortable, he is growing up way to fast :)
    angela it would not be my choice for him to go upstairs, also with his elbows being bad i dont want him running up and downstairs, just up bed and then down in the morning,
    think its a good idea you letting dexter have free run of the downstairs, :)
    what i dont understand is how do they know what they can and cant destroy, if i leave a pair of shoes he wont touch them, if i leave a new toy for him its destroyed :)

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie sleeps on a big memory foam bed, in his pen, which is in a small room off the kitchen.

OH started having him on a mat upstairs in the bedroom - then left for a few days. The noise of Charlie padding round the bedroom (wooden floor), jumping up on my bed, back down to his mat, was too much - then he sicked up the stick he had eaten on his evening walk, at 2am, on my lovely polished bedroom floor. That was it, back to the pen, and a baby gate installed across the stairs. No dogs upstairs rule firmly back in place!

Why Charlie has never chewed up his bed, I don't know, but he hasn't.

15. lynnelogan

my son as carpet in his bedroom, i have wooden floor in mine and downstairs so i fully understand that clip clop sound :)
    any thing with filling in he burst, i thought may be its because i always gave him soft toys to play with ......who knows what goes on inside a dogs head :)

16. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

Well Oatsy was in my bedroom for a few nights but then he weed on the floor, so it was back to the crate. He cant get up stairs yet, so now I have let him have the whole of the downstairs, he usualy sleeps on the sofa, and so far no accidents, and its been a week, and I put him out first thing.

17. lynnelogan

thats good maggie, keep up the good work,....how old is he now?, not seen a photo for ages :)

18. Charlie_2013

Charlie_2013 Registered Users

Charlie sleeps in our Kitchen extension. He is happy in his crate, so this is where he will stay. Plus i was under strict orders from my wife that he wasn't allowed upstairs :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Better do what the boss says ;)

19. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Charlie_2013 link=topic=2448.msg24090#msg24090 date=1378208439]
    Better do what the boss says ;)
    [/quote]

It was pointed out to me how nice it would be to have Riley cleaning himself on our bed and I have to say it made me think twice about the "dogs stay downstairs" rule. I also have a lot of white bed linen and a very hairy black lab ! :eek: :eek: :eek:

20. lynnelogan

oh as much as i love him he will never get in my bed :)