Where's the cat?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Sersi, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Sersi

Sersi Registered Users

So, I have Digby, a soft but typical blunderbuss of a 6 month old lab, and a 10 year old cat. I resisted getting a dog for many years and one of the reasons was indeed the cat who we rescued quite by accident when she was fairly young ( another story). Anyway, after much deliberation and talking to LOADS of people who had introduced a pup to an existing cat, not to mention HUGE pressure from the rest of the family, I decided it would probably be fine. Well, it probably could be fine, Digby has only come face to face with her twice in the 4 months he's been here, but on both occasions he just stood in front of her wagging his tail. Unfortunately that is the only times they have met. The cat lives upstairs ALL the time now, she does still go in and out as she doesn't have a litter tray but she manages to do this when he is crated by typical cat sneaking around. I'm pretty sure I could train him to ignore her if she was around but I can only do this if she IS around. She was never the most sociable cat but I am really surprised and I feel very guilty. The cat seems fine at the moment, she spent a huge part of her day sleeping upstairs before, and she gets plenty of attention but I would rather she felt able to be around Digby or it could cause issues down the line. Not least I really want to teach Digby to ignore her NOW rather than when he gets older when it will be harder. I have always made sure she can get away with stair gates and the like, I guess my question is do you think I should force the issue? Should I make the cat go in the same room as pup and block her exits just so I can attempt to train Digby to leave her, I have to say this doesn't sound right for the poor cat. Does anyone have any similar experience? Do I have to simply face up to the fact that the cat will not be around if the dog is, if she hasn't made any sort of appearance by now? Cheers all.

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Where's the cat?

I really wouldnt try to force the issue , pressing them to meet, it could well make your cat even more nervous and she could flee . Cats, unlike dogs, take their time to adjust to new situations and need to feel very safe before facing something they find scarey . It seems that your cat is managing just fine , if she was so bothered by it all, she wouldnt hand around I`m sure :) We rescued a feral cat when we lived in France, she spent the first few months under the bed , only coming out to explore when the dogs were all asleep but she did eventually accept their prescence , try not to worry too much , she knows where her bread is buttered :)

3. Sersi

Sersi Registered Users

It's good to hear that you had a cat that took a long time to adapt to a situation but did eventually. They thought my cats dad was probably ferrel and although we have had her from quite young she is fairly unpredictable and something of a loaner. I guess I'm more worried of Digby not getting accustomed to her whilst he is still young. I shall leave her to it though.

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Yes, I agree, don't force the issue. My cat ran away when my sister introduced a puppy into the house. Just let your cat set the pace.