which dry food for sensitive tummy?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by blackjack, Jul 25, 2013.

1. blackjack

blackjack Registered Users

sorry another post!

which is the best dry food for jack whos nearly 9 months for a sensitive tummy? or which should i avoid?

i know to not get bakers, but theres so many brands im a bit lost ???

hes currently on skinners duck and rice, i cant get sensitive chicken and rice without it being a special order! having learnt that the chicken one is for sensitive tums and hearing other dogs having trouble with duck being too rich im wondering if i should change his food aarrgghh what to do?

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: which dry food for sensitive tummy?

Hi , I feed the Skinners salmon and rice , good results and I believe its good for dogs with delicate tums, both mine thrive on it :)

3. blackjack

blackjack Registered Users

thank you, right salmon and rice it is! i like that i can get skinners from just down the road, and its not the most expensive food nor the cheapest!

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Rileys been through periods of sensitive tummy and the vet said they are more prone when they're younger as they build up their immune system. I thought that would only be when they're little pups but she said they can actually take quite a while. Our worst sensitive tum period was probably around 10/11 months as Lizzie had just arrived.

We're on duck and rice which doesn't help you if you think this is too rich but I thought I'd share as Riley's tum has settled down as he's got older which might relieve some of your worry :)

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Black jack I saw your other post but didn't have a chance to reply.Ive had tummy troubles with Dexter and he's still very sensitive.
    He was on Eukanuba puppy when he arrived(breeders food)he had really soft stools.on a friends advice i changed him over to Royal Canin puppy Maxi over a period of a week, still soft stools and bad gas :eek: I took him for a check up and meet and greet of the vet and told her about it and she tested him for Giardia which came back positive.2 courses of antibiotics before we got 2 negative results.....terribly upset tummy.By now,he was on absolutely no other food except his kibble.Vet told me to switch to Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal Junior,again a period of a week to change over( every change of food has upset him worse before it has got better...)After a week he did start to firm up.....but still very soft.My parents were visiting at this point and Mum had brought me some arrowroot powder....she was all for me giving it to him as soon as she arrived but its a thickening agent and I didn't want to mask any symptoms until I knew it really was only his diet that was upsetting him.the vet was talking about pancreatic tests :eek: anyway once I saw that he was improving,I sprinkled a teaspoon of arrowroot on his kibble and then again 2-3 days later.it did firm him up ....sorry for all the detail but I could now tidy up after him on a walk without tissue and a bottle of water...that's how bad we were at one stage. Dex has only ever eaten Kibble up until 3 weeks ago when I went right back to puppy stage one teaching heel and not pulling on the lead.....I knew I had to up his rewards so I steamed some chicken breast and he's been ok on that,got confident so tried sardines......awful result.....tried toast with sardine oil spread on it......so so,but a naturopath I know said not to give him bread as if he has a sensitive bowel the wheat will aggravate it....I'm sure there will be wheat as a filler in his kibble though!2 weeks ago I started total recall on the whistle so he got roast chicken.....upset again,think it was Rachael that said it might be too greasy,so all the skin get taken off and he's not too bad.....Salt water from the sea was a low point too this week..... :-\

6. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=2111.msg18737#msg18737 date=1374758821]
    he got roast chicken.....upset again,think it was Rachael that said it might be too greasy,so all the skin get taken off and he's not too bad
    [/quote]

we gave Riley Lamb once - very fatty - disaster!! It didn't even make it through he just threw up :( so I definitely agree with the stay away from grease/fat suggestion :)

7. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Had the same result with lamb , now avoid anything greasy like the plague . I changed to the salmon and rice because I wondered if the wheat in the previous kibble was responsible for the frequent poos , all I can say is that Sam is now a " twice a day and firm dog " ;D ;D