Which of Pippa's books would be best for me?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Teresa999, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Teresa999

Teresa999 Registered Users

Hi everyone. I want to get one of Pippa's training books and I wondered if people could recommend one to me, as I know that she has written a few. George is nearly 10 weeks and we're pretty much starting from the beginning, I'd like a book that can teach me how to teach him basic obedience, etc.
    Thanks for your help

2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Total recall

3. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Total Recall - invaluable.

4. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Hi @Teresa999 if you want a book to assist with training basics i.e. sit/down/stay/loose lead or heel walking etc it has to Jean Donaldson Train your dog like a Pro.

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Total Recall is the best.

I would also get the Happy Puppy Handbook - it explains such a lot, even if your puppy is a bit older. I'm due my sixth puppy in September and I'll be reading it again between now and then.

:)

6. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

Total recall, but if you can, get the Happpy puppy handbook too, the compliment each other very well.

7. Teresa999

Teresa999 Registered Users

Thanks for your replies - I had considered getting 'Total Recall', but I had thought that it was just about recall, not training in general. Sounds like it would be good to get, and I might see if I can borrow 'The happy puppy book' from my local library.

8. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Yes, Total Recall is a book about recall. It's really excellent -a very detailed training programme for recall, and getting your dog to come when you call is one of the most important things anyone trains.

BUT it's not a book about training sit, down, food manners, walk to heel etc so you might want to choose something else if that's what you want.

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Total Recall fan here and very worth while working through :) x

10. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Some very good books mentioned to help get you started :)

My little bit advice would be also to consider the behaviours you need now and going forward, and not so much about training obedience based activities such as sit, down, etc...although using recall as a game early on is a really good idea and encourages the behaviour of sticking close to you.

For a 10 week old pup, what I mean by behaviours, is helping your dog become a relaxed and resilient member of the family. So gradually introduce your pup to the car, odd noises such vacuum cleaner, men in hats, umbrellas...cafes... parks..that sort of thing. This will help you pup to not startle or be afraid of strange sounds and environments as an older dog.

Toilet training will be taking up a vast amount of your time no doubt! Also I do think helping pup to be comfortable in their own fur, and not need to be in the same room as you day in day out is something worth working on once you feel that your pup is comfortable in their new surroundings.

You may find it helpful to train your pup to be happy to do nothing, so teaching to settle quietly on a mat, then eventually transferring outside so an afternoon in the pub garden doesn't turn into a wrestling match! :) Or dinner time at home becoming a race to get to the table before the dog!

Good luck and do let us know what books you buy and how helpful you thought they were :)