While the gander's away....

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Lisa, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

...the goose and dog will play, apparently!!

I was gone this past weekend. On Friday night Mark took Simba on a walk to one of the big open fields near our place, which is bounded my trees. He decided to see what would happen if he let Simba off leash. :eek:

Dog took off like he was shot out of a cannon (in hubs words, "I had no idea he could move that fast!) He went to the trees (about a football field length away), but then turned around and plopped down, watching Mark and obviously waiting for him to come chase him. Mark played it cool and just walked towards him nonchalantly, but when he got to about 15 feet of Simba the dog took off at a dead run towards Mark (who thought he was going to get a full-on body slam) but at the last second Simba veered and ran pell-mell to the trees again, and plopped down.

Obviously this was enormous fun for pooch. ::)

Sounded like this happened a couple more times and at one point he disappeared into the trees but he reappeared again - wanting to engage hubs in a chase.

Mark found a stick and started tossing it up in the air, ignoring dog who promptly can running back and laid at his feet, and he was able to clip the lead on and they continued with the walk.

I'm actually kinds glad he tried this - I have been really curious as to what would happen if we took him off-lead, but I have been to chicken to try.

So....work on Total Recall starting this week..... :)

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: While the gander's away....

Interesting.
    At least your OH knew what strategies to use - I'm sure mine wouldn't.
    I wouldn't have dared to do that on my own.....but I guess men are different creatures ::)

I would call that a fair result 8)

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I reckon that's pretty good - he didn't go very far away, he remained checked in with your hubby, and wanted to play (rather than abscond or hunt etc). I think you can be rather encouraged!

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Wow I would be chuffed with that result, but like you Lisa I am a chicken and won't let Charlie off lead, but David and my daughter have done and Charlie has been fine. Well done Simba Total Recall is calling ;) Helen x

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sounds like it went pretty well!! Your hubby could try running away from Simba. Simba might like that and will give chase - good reinforcement for the recall :) Main thing is to make sure the dog is always the one doing the chasing (your hubby did well there!!).

6. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Yes, all in all I was pleased with Mark and Simba!! All these discussions about dog training paying off....hubby really does try to help! When we went to the off-leash park a couple weeks ago I had told Mark that we had to go for a walk once we had put the lead back on him so that Simba would not think that coming back would be a punishment, so he remembered that and made sure to have a nice walk after Simba came back this time.

So, onward and upward. First lessons in Total Recall tomorrow....I know I've said that before but this time I truly will do it! ;)

7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

That sounds really good Lisa! Well done to Simba and to hubby for not losing his nerve! :)

8. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh bet you feel loads better Lisa....I was terrified to the core of letting Dexter off....my off lead comfort zone was about 6 feet,I was petrified he would run away .......he never gave me any reason to fear this,it was just not knowing dogs in general, or him in particular!Chris was so much laid back about it,he was the off lead guy,I was the on lead /manners girl......Thats all changed now.I love seeing Dexter running out,free and happy ,the knot in my stomach has gone as I have so much confidence in his recall,even when there are blips I know he will come back to me.......and it's Total Recall that has got me to this.I believe you will really enjoy doing it too,it's activities and exercises that will ultimately achieve an effective recall but they are fun activity and excercises that help you bond with your dog.....Dexter became MY dog once I started doing it.He recalls just as well for Chris but he is definitely my dog now ........I do share ,but sometimes begrudgingly!!!x

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I am the same Angela it's David and my daughter Grace that let Charlie off lead and to his credit he comes back without a recall of any sort after a couple of minutes which is brilliant compared to a year ago. But I still freak out thinking he will go so I don't let him off, not until I am completely confident and I can blow my whistle to put it to the test, but not there yet :eek: ::) You are right without Total Recall we would definitely not be at this stage with Charlie and with all the other advise with hand feeding etc. the bond is even stronger and Charlie is generally to be found wherever I am :* You only have to share with Chris, I however have 5 others to share with ;) xx

Come on Lisa get the book out ;) Helen x

10. Dexter

Ah Helen,I think I can tell who his favorite is though ;) x

11. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

First day exercises begun....okay I only did it once today so perhaps it doesn't count but I had loads on the ol' plate. But whistle has blown accompanied by nummy treats so we're on our way! Bought some chicken to roast tomorrow..... :D

12. Karen

Karen Registered Users

We're behind you Lisa, looking forward to hearing how it goes... :)

13. Dexter

Lisa,I had house guests and one of the trips to the UK whilst I was starting out ,so I was stressing like mad about losing momentum but it really didn't have any detrimental effect.Maybe it just took more time but I was going at A yawn,yawn snail,pace anyway!!!get at it when you can and you will progress for sure x

14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Lisa, don't worry about how long it takes, I am at an even slower snails pace than Angela - 11 months SO FAR ::) it's not a race so just do the Total Recall when you can, Simba won't forget that whistle sound ;) Helen x

15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Think of it like dieting.....
    The quicker its done the less likely it is to be maintained ;D

16. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Ha ha Jac!!

Day two down....it's kinda funny... Roasted some chicken for the beast...fed him 3x throughout the day with whistle softly pipping in the background (although not sure I'm blowing it right, exactly)....but it was actually hard for me to feed this perfectly good food to my dog!!!! Okay I just "outed" myself as being perhaps a tad more hard-hearted than the rest of you.... ::)

I'm trying to think of what to say to Mark when he looks in the fridge and sees chicken which I'm sure he'll want to take for lunch and I have to tell him it's for the dog.... :eek:

17. Dexter

Ha ha ha Lisa, Chris quickly learned the premium sandwich ingredient in the fridge was allocated to the furry one! for us with pet dogs as opposed to the working dogs or dogs that are being assessed ,i don't think it would matter what your whistle signal sounds like as long as it is always the same....I blow 5 pips,because,guess what,that's what it said in the book ;) but I think Heidrun does 3.....and her stop whistle sounds different to mine,it sounded like the tone goes up at the end but mine stays monotonous ;D....maybe I should make it sound a bit more interesting as I know it's not a popular command!
    Did he come running for his chicken? X

18. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Well, we're just at the first stage - blow whistle while he is getting the tasty treats. Kinda "charging" the whistle, I suppose. He is coming pretty quickly when I call him, though! ;) ::)

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hah - had a fight with OH last week went he made his lunch with Charlie's training roast beef! (Not that Charlie gets beef very often, too much gives him runny poo, but it has an edge over chicken for him).