White Hairs

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Karen64, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Karen64

Karen64 Registered Users

Hello all, I have seen a post about whites hairs, but I don't know if the puppy every out grew them. I have a 14 week old Chocolate , both of his parents are chocolate and no yellow in the blood line. He has started to get little white hairs popping up on his back and a few down his leg. I can't find anything out about it. I will not be showing him or breeding him, just a little upset that we spent a lot of $$$ for a purebred and now he has some white on him. We love him so very much and his little white hairs won't change that love for him. If anyone has an answer for me please let me know. Thank you all.

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hi Karen and welcome to the forum. Some Labs do have a few white hairs here and there - and sometimes even a larger patch. It doesn't mean they're not pure bred. Your paperwork should show you your puppy's pedigree and whether he is pure bred.
    My black bitch, Willow, has the odd white hair and also faint Bolo spots on her feet - these are called Bolo spots because they can be traced back to a very famous Labrador named Banchory Bolo who was the first dog to win a Championship in both the field and show ring. So, they're not necessarily bad :)
    They probably won't disappear, no. He may even get more as he gets older. But, unless you want to show him, it doesn't affect anything.

3. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I have 2 pure black labs and one chocolate. The older lab has white spots on his paws too. A couple of the younger black labs siblings had very small white flashes on their chest.
    Benson my chocolate is pure choc..from a line of chocs. He has though stray white hairs peppering his neck...not enough to call a patch. Also he has a denser area of white hairs around his tummy.
    So I guess it's not unusual in pure bred labradors :)
    If you are worried, check the paperwork, or speak to the breeder. Welcome to the forum btw! :)

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It's not at all unusual to see white hairs on Labradors. There are loads of reports of Chocolates having a ring of white hair around their tails - although I've never seen this myself, it's definitely a thing.

I wouldn't give it another thought. :)

It's definitely nothing to do with whether or not there is yellow in his line - that's not how it works. :)

5. Kelsey Danielle

Kelsey Danielle Registered Users

My pure bred little guy has like 5 white hairs on his chest and then a few more sprinkled under is chin :)

6. Karen64

Karen64 Registered Users

Thank you for all of your great answers, I guess it's more common than I thought. I just have never seen it before. Thank you again, have a great day

7. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

My Axel has 3 on his face and one on his back. I didn't like them at first but now they are apart of him :rolleyes:

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Mollie has them on one pad :)

9. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

One of the reasons we picked Stanley is because he has a tiny white streak on his chest.

It let us know that was the puppy we picked :)

10. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

All mine had white hairs both blacks and browns. When they got old the looked like they'd been frosted:)

11. David

David Registered Users

Little white diamond on Lady's chest.

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie is covered in white hairs. From Betsy. She is moulting for England! :D:D:D

Samantha Jones, Stacia and snowbunny like this.
  13. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

:D :D :D

Yellow hair gets everywhere!

14. Karen64

Karen64 Registered Users

Thank you all for the great feed back. Remington was at the vet yesterday for his last shots, and the Vet thinks because he had Parvo that the stress could have made that white hairs due to stress when he was a puppy, either way we love him just the same with white hairs or not

Beanwood likes this.
  15. Majolica

Majolica Registered Users

Hi, we have a black female lab who is a year old. We also have a male who is four. Our younger one had no traces of white on her as a pup but as her adult coat grew in more and more white hairs appeared on her back. She’s covered in then... salt and pepper look. She’s Kennel Club registered as is our male who has a tiny patch of white under his chin. We know the breeder well and his reputation is highly regarded. The white hairs are a great talking point when we’re out and about but I would rather there weren’t quite so many.