White teeth

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by sabri.1996, Apr 7, 2018.

1. sabri.1996

sabri.1996 Registered Users

How can I keep the teeths of my puppy white and without tartarus? with some raw bones, deer antlers, chew toys... Can you give me some tips?

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Start brushing your pups teeth now but do it very gradually, one tooth at a time. Let him lick the dog toothpaste off your finger to start, then very gradually brush one tooth at a time and before you know it your pup with have no problem at all :) Do not feed weight bearing bones or antlers as they can cause tooth breakage which is very painful for a dog. Good luck! :) x

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  3. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Special dog tooth paste. Now is the perfect time to start getting your puppy used to teeth brushing. At Coco's last vet visit (age 3) my vet suggested I should be brushing his teeth with an enzyme tooth paste. I took her advice. Make it part of your daily routine.

sabri.1996 and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  4. alschwahn

alschwahn Registered Users

I was late to the teeth brushing game and my almost 1 year old already has tartar buildup that has made his teeth brown. I've started brushing his teeth consistently - every night after his kibbles - and they are improving immensely. It is good that you are thinking about it. I wish I would have been more serious about his tooth brushing since we first brought him home!

sabri.1996 and snowbunny like this.
  5. MF

MF Registered Users

A diet of raw meat and raw meaty bones should keep your dog’s teeth clean (not always a guarantee I believe). I’ve never brushed Snowie’s teeth and he’s 6 yo. My vet said he has great teeth. He does have some brown on each of his top canine teeth near the gum, which he’s had since he was a small puppy.

Kibble is sticky and high in carbs (which bacteria feed off), so if you feed kibble you will have to brush his teeth. A vet friend said he gave his dogs bones once a week to clean the teeth. I didn’t ask what kind of bones though.

If you want to feed raw bones, chicken wings or necks are a good way to start to assess how your dog copes with bones. My boy chomps through venison neck bones. I don’t feed weight bearing bones from large animals (like cow or sheep), but currently he’s eating whole rabbits, leg bones and all.

CMartin likes this.
  6. sabri.1996

Thank you I wil try it

charlie likes this.
  7. sabri.1996

Thank you

MF likes this.
  8. sabri.1996

Do you advice any brand of toothpast?

9. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Logic Gel all the way. I used to use a different brand and my dogs still got staining. This brand gets rid of all of that.

10. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Another fan of Logic Gel here. Coco loves it.