1. WELCOME

To join the conversation, please register. It only takes a minute!

Whole prey and livestock

Discussion in 'Raw Feeding' started by Ruth Buckley, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Ruth Buckley

Ruth Buckley Registered Users

Loki's been on a raw diet for about a year with no problems. I think his behaviour has really improved - no idea if any of this can be attributed to his diet.
    The farmer who owns the land around our house is horrified that I raw feed, in particular rabbit and squirrel portions with fur on. She is convinced it will make him blood thirsty and attack her lambs.

I see no evidence of increased prey drive in Loki since starting raw feeding, the opposite if anything. I can't find any evidence online of any risk that it will make him more likely to attack livestock or wild life. I see this as a management/training issue and he is always on lead when we are near sheep even if there's a fence between us.

Does anyone know of any evidence one way or the other? I thought quite a few working gun dogs were raw fed. Any suggestions for articles she could read that might reassure her?

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi there, raw feeding is not known to cause aggression in dogs or to influence their prey drive.

I don't think any studies have been carried out to prove conclusively that raw meet doesn't trigger aggression in dogs, but it is generally considered to be a complete myth. Nor is there any evidence as far as I'm aware, to suggest that attacks on livestock are more likely to be carried out by raw fed dogs.

Anecdotally, I have fed raw for many years with no problems. So have many friends, and several members of this forum. And as most dogs are fed on kibble, I suspect there would be far fewer attacks on lambs by dogs if the myth had any truth behind it. :)

Raw feeding can however make it a little harder to treat food guarding. So it is not always an ideal diet for dogs that guard their food.

3. Ruth Buckley

Ruth Buckley Registered Users

Thanks Pippa,
    Loki's not a food guarder, fortunately, but I never mess with his food anyway.
    I must admit I skin chickens and pheasants as I keep hens and don't want him to get any ideas about food and feathers. Out of respect for the farmer and her concerns, however unfounded, think I'll do the same for rabbits and squirrels.

4. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

Again anecdotally, I raw feed all of mine. They are all gundogs and don't have trouble retrieving fur or feather. I keep chickens and sheep and they don't bother them. I have had young dogs retreive the odd live chicken, but never damage it and certainly not eat it. Conversely I have worked with other gundogs who are kibble fed and eat pheasents they are suposed to retrive and 2 which have attacked sheep.

All this said, I would never feed whole prey/ meat in fur/feather.