Why do labs try to eat everything?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by alschwahn, Dec 22, 2017.

1. alschwahn

alschwahn Registered Users

Why? My sister's little Westie won't eat just anything. Her Belgian Malinois is not food motivated, but occasionally eats poo. My boyfriend's sister's lab will try to eat anything too. My boyfriend's other sister's Rhodesian Ridgeback mix loves human food, but would never eat random non-food bits or anything of the like. And my boyfriend's mother's lab chewed up the Christmas lights. WHY do labs try to eat everything?! I feel like they are notorious for it. My Aspen is like a Great White Shark. He will try to eat anything he can. Dead worms, drywall (we had some construction going on in the kitchen and Aspen decided to help himself to a nibble of some unfinished edges)...he doesn't discriminate. He wants it all in his belly! Luckily he hasn't munched on poo or anything seriously bad for him yet...knock on wood!

PawPrints likes this.
  2. Georgieboy

Georgieboy Registered Users

We are right in the teenage stage and he's really started to try to eat or chew on EVERYTHING in a way he never did before. He has a real thing for paper napkins. I just extracted one from his mouth minutes ago. And my daughter's paper doll fell to the ground yesterday and he ate it before we could even move. Other dogs I've had have never had such an interest in non-food items! It's a mystery.

3. alschwahn

alschwahn Registered Users

@Georgieboy Ahh yep that's the stage we are at! Aspen's idea of fine dining is some Kleenex and kibbles. :D

Georgieboy and PawPrints like this.
  4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Heaven knows why they do it , my late boy Sam ate all the timer buttons on my cooker when he was a puppy , they did appear but I couldn't bring myself to collect them !

Samantha Jones, selina27 and Snowy like this.
  5. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

I wonder too. Axel has eaten many things and then thrown them up a week later (once 5 weeks later!!!)

My friend had a rottie once and said that they are just lazy and don’t chew or destroy anything. Well she got a new rottie puppy, who is now 7 months old I believe. This puppy chewed through the drywall in the center of the wall!! Not on a corner but the center! And she eats everything! Made me feel better about Axel lol.

Axel has never chewed the house or furniture, but he does eat fabric type materials, just clothing really. Oh and his cone of shame when neutered, oh and the stuffing out of his bed, and a couple couch pillows, and a couple tea towels, and I think that’s about it..... Oh and he threw up a stick once, it was big and I don’t even know how he swallowed it in the first place.