Why does my lab jump in circles

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Jo2201, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Jo2201

Jo2201 Registered Users

He is 14 mths old whenever me or oh walk in to kitchen he jump in circles with me it's high in the air about 3 1/2 ft to 4 ft off the ground with oh its low to the ground he make me dizzy then will nip at my hand and can't ever stroke him he is always so would up is it excitement or something else he is 35kg when he does it against me I nearly go flying

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

It sounds like he could be bored. How long is he shut in the kitchen alone?

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Over excitement for seeing you I expect. Is he left in the kitchen whilst you are in the house or is it when you go out?

4. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Mine does that when I come in from being out or come down on a morning.

I just assume he's happy to see me. Although I always jump around to see him too :D

5. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Because he's happy. Hoppy. :) Some just do that. We met a bitch who could bounce to the top of the 5' fence surrounding her outdoor run with ease. Another, a neighbour's dog, put a big scratch on my shoulder which she nailed (very apt word in this case) on her way DOWN from a similar bounce. I'm 5'8", and she was that high.

While I believe it's from happiness it can be a problem, as in my scratch. I'd work on encouraging this with a special word, so you can control it and then ask him to jump only when you want. Once he will jump on command (don't overdo it, hard on joints) then you can make a counter command. Cue, cue is the word now. He could hurt someone old or little.

6. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Coco jumps up to greet. But now he only does it on cue (patting your own chest) - OH does this, I don't. Coco doesn't jump on me anymore. He does look full of joy when he does it though.