Why has my house trained puppy started to wee indoors

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Laura144, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Laura144

Laura144 Registered Users

My 15 week old house trained puppy has just started to wee indoors. It is only ever in one room and even when she has open door access to the garden. She has been very good up until this last week so I don't understand what has gone wrong

2. JohnG

JohnG Registered Users

It doesn't explain the location thing, unless that's just co-incidence. But the only time I had this was when my pup had a Urinary Tract Infection and just had to go when she had to go, couldn't hold it. If it's a UTI though we had other clues, including squatting for a long time after she'd finished, and going a lot more often than usual.

Make sure you clean up any accidents thoroughly with a proper pet cleaning product, as any lasting scent may also cause her to think "ok I've been here before, I'll go here again".

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I would second a trip to the vet just to rule out a uti

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello there, and a very warm welcome.

In the absence of any other signs there is anything wrong, the most likely explanation for a 15 week pup having accidents is it isn't yet fully house trained. It's not unusual to have a few set backs. If a pup has had a wee in the house before in a certain spot, s/he is likely to go there again unless the scent is removed completely (quite difficult).

By the way, leaving a door open to the garden isn't a good thing to do with a young pup. This doesn't help with house training, because when the weather gets cold and the door is shut, they trot to the door, find it closed. and then wee and poo anyway. With an open door, they learn to trot outside but don't learn to "hold on" because they are in the house.

5. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Hello from 20 month old Mooly and me.

I had much the same experience when Molly was 14 weeks old. On advice from forum members I whipped her down to the Vets. She did, indeed, have a urinary infection. A short course of anti biotics put her right.

6. star.lily

star.lily Registered Users

I'm not sure if it's the same situation...but about a month ago Luke spent a weird 1-2 weeks having a couple accidents inside. He can definitely hold it as he was 5 months then and was potty trained months before that. He wouldn't give me any signs that he needed to go or anything, he would just look at me and squat. I'm still convinced he was going through a little rebel phase. I just went back to praise/rewarding when he goes outside. I was still praising but not as enthusiastically so I've tried to make it a BIG DEAL THAT'S YOU'RE GOING POTTY! Phase went away as quickly as it came. Strange.

7. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hi and welcome. There's some good advice already given so I would just say if I doubt a quick check with the vet, if all is clear it's just a small setback with training just as JulieT says.

8. Laura144

Laura144 Registered Users

Hi, thanks for all the advice. We purchased an ultra-violet wee detector & discovered areas with still traces. After thoroughly re-cleaning these areas and over enthusiastic praise for weeing outdoors, we have been accident free for over 2 weeks.

9. Naya

Naya Registered Users

That's fab . It is unbelievable how sensitive their noses are

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Well done!
    A UV wee-detector? Never heard of that to be honest. One for the best buy and review section?? :p

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hah, that's a great tip - I'll remember that one. Anything with phosphorus in it will show up under an ultra violet light. Another use for the tanning lamp in the attic....