Will this spoil the Hold in the retrieve

Discussion in 'Working Trials' started by suejoh, Sep 9, 2015.

1. suejoh

suejoh Registered Users

I want to do tracking and search later and I have been told to get my pup to bring lots of different things to me - spoons, keys, rags etc. She does this well and I reward with food so she drops whatever she has when she gets to me. She does bring it close to me and if she does not then she does not get food. Been OK with this so far.

My questions is - Will this mess up the Hold and present when we need to put this in. I see that most people start with this.
    Should I stop getting her to bring me things and just do hold? Can I carry on doing the two separately and put them together later?
    Thanks for advice

Newbie Lab Owner likes this.
  2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

You could just get her to give you things - it's not the food that makes her drop things, it's that you need to use a "marker" with food so she knows what she gets the food for (eg putting the thing in your hand).

I personally just want my dog to slam a dummy in my hand and I'll take it as soon as he wants to give it to me, no messing about. I am unlikely to ever be in a position where I want dog two to sit holding a pheasant while I take the duck off dog one. :rolleyes: So I have a very simple "return and put it in my hand" and that gets him the treat - regardless of what that is, a ball, a dummy or a stolen sock.

3. suejoh

suejoh Registered Users

She carries a lot at the mo. Should I just ask her to give me whatever she has for a treat and then give it back?

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I would echo what Julie has said. Both my dogs pick up endless things in the house (we're very untidy). I have pots of treats in each room and anything brought to hand is rewarded. Anything dropped is ignored which usually results in them picking it up again and giving it to me. This was important for both dogs for different reasons....Riley has a very loose hold and I wanted him to hang on to things until I was ready to take it off him and Obi is a bit possesive and can play keep away with things so I wanted him to be happy to give things up to me.
    Where you are at the moment is partway through the process for a clicker retrieve anyway so just ask that bit more of her - to give it to you - and you'll have killed two birds with one stone (no shooting pun intended ;) )