Willow struggling with a door

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by snowbunny, Dec 31, 2014.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

We have a bit of a problem with Willow entering into our apartment building. There's a heavy door to get through and it doesn't stay open by itself, so I have to open it and then stand holding it while the dog(s) pass through. Shadow is absolutely fine with this, but Willow is really hesitant. If she's off the lead, she always hangs back because she doesn't want to go through it. I'm not sure why. I've come up with several possible reasons:

1. The door sometimes squeaks a bit when it's opened. She doesn't seem to react to this noise, so I'm almost sure it's not this. I could spray on some silicone spray to stop the squeak, but I think, if it is the problem, that would be masking it, not solving it.

2. The door opens into a small, lift-sized area, then there's another door to pass through to get into the main apartment building. I can't reach the second door while holding open the first, so maybe it's the enclosed space she's hesitant of.

3. She doesn't want to walk past me in the position I hold the door open - am I inadvertently giving off some "do not pass" signal? I don't feel the need to teach them that I always have to pass through the door first, so it's not a learnt behaviour like that.

4. She doesn't want the walk to finish.

5. Something else I've not thought of!

I try luring her with treats and then throwing them through, and she's generally tentatively happy to get so her nose is just inside the door, but further than that is a real push for her. She'll look at the treats I throw in, but even with a chirpy "take it!", she doesn't. Once she's eventually coaxed inside, she doesn't feel the need to run back out, so I'm pretty sure that option 2 isn't it. She's also fine walking into the area from the other direction.

Twice, she has had the same reaction walking out through the door, which leads me the think that in all likelihood it's an issue with the door itself, or my body position. Before these two occurrences in the other direction happened, I thought it was option 4 and she just didn't want the walk to end, but her body language just doesn't say this to me. She's delighted to run down the stairs to our apartment once she's into the main building.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this? I generally walk them by myself, so I can't have someone else hold the door open while I walk her through to heel, for example (if she'd even do this). I'm considering buying a door wedge to keep it propped open and doing a few sessions just going in and out, but I want to make sure my approach is good first before subjecting her to this.

Thanks!

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Willow struggling with a door

Have you seen the kikopup video of the dog reluctant to walk across the kitchen floor? It's very good...now, where is it..

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-CCJxF-9U4

Charlie is currently reluctant to walk up the steps to the veg garden (very simply explanation, he fell off them when he was a pup) and I'm doing something similar. Absolutely stuck at the mo though, as he won't move his back paws on to the steps (but will stretch as far as he can without), so might need a rethink.

Seems worth a try with the door for Willow and a door wedge...

4. snowbunny

Great, thanks Julie. I'll definitely try this then - hopefully later on if it's not too busy :)

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

You could test the 'doesn't want the walk to finish' theory by giving her something to look forward to when you get in (game, special treat etc)

I had this with Tatze getting in the car - it only happened after a free run. I started giving her a treat once she was in the car. Presto! No more reluctance!

:)

6. snowbunny

[quote author=Boogie link=topic=9294.msg133459#msg133459 date=1420026816]
    You could test the 'doesn't want the walk to finish' theory by giving her something to look forward to when you get in (game, special treat etc)

I had this with Tatze getting in the car - it only happened after a free run. I started giving her a treat once she was in the car. Presto! No more reluctance!

:)
    [/quote]

In the mornings, she always has her breakfast once the walk is finished, which is why I think she prances down the stairs like a loon once she's inside. :)