Winnie's first week.....wow!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Branston1080, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Branston1080

Branston1080 Registered Users

So 7 days ago we picked up Winnie, blimey how are life has changed! She's been so amazing, Winnie is very calm, confident and a very loving nature. she's been desperate for interaction with our old lab Maddie. This has been a slow process from growling and avoidance but today Maddie played with her for a few minutes. Bless Maddie she's fully arthritic, on thyroid tablets and steroids for the tumour in her head. The vet calls her a miracle dog. I have to say Maddie is my hero, she's amazing and I'm sure will teach Winnie lots.

It was Winnie's first walk today, off lead in the woods. Whilst crossing a small bridge a bounding lab arrived and knocked her straight into the stream! I was anticipating a longer wait until she was water bound!
    So here she is in her new freedom harness and one with Maddie... Bonded by Kongs!!! Look at that mimicking behaviour!! IMG_0025.jpg IMG_0028.JPG

FayRose, Cath, UncleBob and 13 others like this.
  2. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Oh my, how adorable the pair of them. We can't wait to hear all about Winnie's adventures. Emma and Meg :)

Branston1080 likes this.
  3. Raven12

Raven12 Registered Users

Oh they are lovely! Glad her first week has gone so well and she's settled in. Maddie sounds like an amazing role model for her.

Branston1080 likes this.
  4. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Wonderful Maddie I am sure she will teach your cute bundle Winnie how to be a wonderful pet. Love the kong photo :heart:

Branston1080 likes this.
  5. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Winnie you are scrumptious! Love the photo of them both together busy with their kongs, an image to cherish :heart:

Branston1080 likes this.
  6. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

oh that picture of Winnie & Maddie, side by side, is beautiful.

Branston1080 likes this.
  7. Bruer

Bruer Registered Users

Love the kong photo :inlove:

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Such lovely photos!

:heart:

9. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Love the photo of the two together!

10. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

Beautiful photos, I love the one of Maddie and Winnie together and aren't Maddies grey areas so gorgeous. I do love older dogs, there is just something about them that touches my heart. :heart:

Bruer likes this.
  11. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Lovely photos! Winnie looks gorgeous and the photo of her imitating Maddie is so beautiful. More, please!

12. samandmole

samandmole Registered Users

Ahhh the photo of them together is just gorgeous - love it!!

13. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Love that Kong picture,glad she is settling in well x

14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Beautiful photo's, Winnie certainly looks like she has made herself at home xx :)

15. Sophiathesnowfairy

Sophiathesnowfairy Registered Users

They are beautiful. Love the name.

@Branston1080 Out of interest why did you decide to go straight for a harness? At the minute I am working to try and get Luna to walk to heal, or even just on a loose lead. I am considering a harness I just thought I would give it a go first, but I am always open to advice from you guys on here.

16. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

That's a fabulous photo. Love it. I'd be framing that one. :)

17. Branston1080

Branston1080 Registered Users

@Sophiathesnowfairy Hi, we went for a harness having read that collars are bad for puppy's necks (whilst they are pulling). We haven't had her on the lead yet as she follows us everywhere, so she's just wearing her harness. The plan being that we'll start walk to heal training very soon and by the time we put a collar and lead on she won't be pulling at all.
    The freedom harness was a top 3 pick from an article Pippa wrote and I have to say she's taken to it really well, not attempted once to try and get it off!
    I did pop the lead on to walk down the drive, what was really interesting that just clipped on the back loop she pulled, when clipped on front and back she didn't.
    If you have any top tips for walk to heal I'd love to hear them!

18. Sophiathesnowfairy

Sophiathesnowfairy Registered Users

We are doing well with walking o. A loose lead at. Home and puppy class but it can be hard out and about when there are so many great smells and interesting people, she pulls badly.

I have been practising on the beach and on the busy prom every time she pulls either switching direction or stopping! After about 10 minutes of looking like a lunatic she walks better, I keep my hand down by my thigh with a treat and give it occasionally, and I do this in the house from time to time just to get her to understand the position I want her to be in. Baby steps!

19. Bridget3789

Bridget3789 Registered Users

Oh my goodness, she is so gorgeous! She reminds me a lot of my little man Duncan when he was smaller! He is now almost 5 months and a lot larger than he once was and in the awkward stage of extra long limbs and missing teeth/other teeth growing in and needing to grow into his ears hahaha but these pictures made me so happy and miss when he was this tiny! So cute! Enjoy it while she is little, they grow so fast!

20. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Lovely photo of them both :)