Won't leave my girlfriend alone & bad anxiety

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Labcoat, Sep 25, 2024 at 9:00 PM.

1. Labcoat

Labcoat Registered Users

I have an 11 month chocolate lab, male intact. He's pretty good for the most part but has bad anxiety. A couple examples are if I am standing on the other side of my chainlink fence he freaks out and cries and tries to jump over it even if I am petting him over top of the fence. The other is he won't leave my girlfriend alone. Normally he listens to me when I say no or to stay and lay down. When she's around he constantly tries to dart around me to jump on her. He's hurt her a few times but running at her full speed and jumping into her. We have tried different things like her playing and giving him attention but he just won't calm down. I have to remove him from the area she's in and then he freaks out knowing she's there. He will pace for hours if I let him. He's good with my young kids, it's just those two things we need to work on.

What advice can you give me to try?

2. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

Hi there,

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this - it sounds really difficult for you. Can I ask how long your pup has been with you, and what you know abut their life before they came to you?

It sounds like a home visit from a professional canine behaviourist would be a good next step for you - I'll pop an image below with some tips on finding someone. They should be able to help you figure out the root cause of the trouble, and help you make a plan for improving things.