Working Tests and Dummy Trials

Discussion in 'Gundog Training, Fieldwork, & Field Trials' started by Christoph W, May 7, 2019.

1. Christoph W

Christoph W Registered Users

Hey everyone!

I just returned to the Labrador Forum after some absent time and noticed that the Gundog training Forum is kind of dead (Last post in December 2018). Aren't there any members left that work their dogs on hunts, WTs and Trials? If there are any left, I’d love to hear what kind of level you guys have atm and what you are working on or struggling with in your training routine.

I got 2 black lab boys. One 6 years (Odin) and one 2,5 years (Brösel) and they couldn't be more different when it comes to dummy work!

Odin has been my wife’s dog for the first 4 years but somehow, they didn't really connect when working together (they are the best team ever in everyday life though, just the hunting thing didn't really work for them) so I took over and we are now starting in Intermediate Class (last step before Open class). He's not the keenest of all retrievers tbh and his drive isn't really that high. That’s why we haven’t advanced to Open class yet and I don't know if we ever will hahaha. BUT he is very steady and reliable so that’s what makes working with him easy.

Brösel is a completely different story! He’s pure power and speed and his drive is not from this earth! Other than Odin who has to be constantly motivated in training you got to be very careful not to overshoot him in training. It's very easy to get him overexcited and bouncing all over the place if you're not careful. So we are mostly working on steadiness and being calm while working out of a line atm. He's great at every aspect of dummy work (lining, directions, stop whistle etc.) already so keeping his power under control is pretty much the last thing we need to manage. We'll try to compete in Intermediate class too at our next WT.

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

I only just saw this post. I train, work and compete with my labs in the UK. I'm not sure how it works in Austria, but it sounds slightly different to the UK. In basic terms, tests using dummies are for Puppy (up to 18 months), Novice then Open. There are very few Intermediate competitions in the UK. For trials (live game) these are (basically) Novice, All Age, or Open.

It's quite amazing how different dogs are, even from the same litter, when it comes to training and working them. They key is to understand that what works for one, may not work for another.

Unfortunately, I don't think there are many on this site that train their labs as gundogs. A shame really as it's so enjoyable for the dogs and owners.

3. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Christophe, there are a few of us who work our dogs. I don't compete but I work my dogs on shoots. @Jo Laurens works and competes too :) I'd be interested to hear more about how things work in Austria. Do you compete on game shoots, or with dummies?

4. Christoph W

Hey Pippa and 5labs,

nice to hear from you. It’s quite the same system here in Austria than you guys got in the UK I think. We got the Working Tests (Dummy Tests) for Beginners, Novice (which I called Intermediate) and Open. Then we have the Dummy-Trials for Novice and Open.

We don’t really have competitive shoots like Field Trials here in Austria. If we want to take part in one of these we need to visit Italy, France our any of the other neighbor countries that host these.

Of course, there are a few hunts in the eastern parts of Austria each year where we can go and pick up with our dogs (mostly duck, pheasant and hare hunts) but those aren’t competitive events. Just normal hunting stuff.

We got some test with cold and warm game though but those are carried out by the Austrian Hunters association and aren’t exclusively for Retrievers.

Me and my boys competed in Dummy only events so far. We are occasionally training with game though, so I think I’ll try to run Brösel on a FT in far future if everything works out the way I want it too.

5. Christoph W

Yeah it's really amazing! Odin's sister(Brösel's mom btw :)) is also completly different than he is!
    What Lvl are you and you're dogs competing at?

6. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

I currently have one in Open and two in Puppy for tests. Just one Novice for trials.

7. Christoph W

Nice! Brösel and I are starting at a WT this weekend! I'm a bit nervous to be honest since it's our first WT this year and we hadn't got much time for training since my wife gave birth to our first child in Dezember and we had other things to think about :cwl:

8. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

:rofl:You need to reassess your priorities :rofl:
    Seriously, don't worry too much about it. Just treat it as a training day and relax!

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.
  9. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Good luck - let us know how you get on!

10. Christoph W

I will! If i find time i'm going to write a little summary!

11. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

Christoph W likes this.
  12. Christoph W

Oh very cool! I will check that out once I'm off work!

Jo Laurens likes this.
  13. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Hi, just seen this thread too. I work my older dog and currently training my 15 month old to work on a local rough wildfowl shoot and hopefully by January she will be out on pheasant shoot. I'm not going to trial, but may look at working tests for my young lab.