Wormer and diarrhoea?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by snowbunny, Jan 3, 2015.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hullo,

Yesterday evening I gave the pups their wormer with dinner. Overnight, Shadow had very runny poo (luckily, he woke me to go outside!), which I'm pretty sure was caused by the pork he had for lunch - it's early days introducing pork although last time he had it, as much as he was soft, he wasn't complete liquid like he was overnight. He's fine in himself and I'm keeping his fluids really high. He's not had a poo since this morning, but I'll monitor it when he does to see if we need to do anything about it.

Anyway, the point of my post is to ask whether I need to re-administer the wormer once he firms up? They eat their fair share of goat poo, so I really need to keep on top of it. But, I don't want to overdose him on it - is this even a thing??

Thanks!

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Wormer and diarrhoea?

I don't know the answer to if you need to readminister Fiona but worming does make Dexter a bit loose even now ....so being a bit softer is normal....let's see what some of the other members say x

3. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

I always believed pork was bad for dogs? Im sure someone with more knowledge than me will put us right!
    Gave Izzy her wormer last night and ive seen a few wiggly worms today in her poo! Horrible things make me cringe!

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

When Harley had diorrhea my vet told me to redo her wormer once her tummy had settled. Worth giving the vets a call just to check though :)

5. CDM

CDM Registered Users

I would double check with the vet, as if she had upset tum they might want you to redo? I did Bella last night she's been fine thankfully but breeder told me to do her again at second vacs so she got 2 disguised with tuna ha :)

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

This was just Drontal suspension which goes in with their kibble. I put water in with their kibble anyway. It makes it go pink but they don't seem to mind :)

Pork is fine from my understanding, although it's safest to freeze it for a couple of weeks to kill any parasites there may be in it (the nasty worm people talk about in relation to undercooked pork). I always cook pork pink for us, but it's always frozen for a while before we have it.

7. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=Wendy68 link=topic=9355.msg134360#msg134360 date=1420303109]
    I always believed pork was bad for dogs? Im sure someone with more knowledge than me will put us right!
    Gave Izzy her wormer last night and ive seen a few wiggly worms today in her poo! Horrible things make me cringe!
    [/quote]

Careful with her licking you Wendy, keep her away from your faces, Bella is always trying to lick my face!!!!!

8. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

She only bites me, not licks me! She thinks im dinner!

9. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=Wendy68 link=topic=9355.msg134368#msg134368 date=1420304829]
    She only bites me, not licks me! She thinks im dinner!
    [/quote]

:D :D

Bella likes to mix it up a bit, I get lots of excited licks eg in the morning, after naps, but when it's crazy time I get lick, bite, lick!!!!! ;D

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Lilly has frequently been a bit off 24-36hrs after drontal - she has often been a bit sick, and sometimes loose poop too. Now she is older, its a lot less of a problem (however, she is also a lot more likely to eat around them in her bowl too :-\ )