Worming/tick/flea treatments

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Carys, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Carys

Carys Registered Users

Hi

Need some advice.

Our boy was on Drontal and advocate.

The vet (same place different vet) had provided us with prescriptions for Bravecto and Milquantel.

However these are extortionate in price, difficult to get (milquantel is out of stock everywhere) and I'm struggling to see the difference.

It would seem i just need something to cover ticks which neither advocate or drontal do.

This is important as we have so many at the moment.

The prescriptions for 6 months is going to set me back well over £100. More frustrating is just 2 months ago the same surgery issued me a prescription for the advocate so i have 6 months worth

Advice please

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Carys, I use Drontal for worming and I use Effipro for ticks and fleas, it's really very reasonably priced, it also gives longer coverage then Frontline which I gave up on. I live in Hampshire also so the tick treatment is important to us too. I buy all my products online and never pay vet prices for obvious reasons :eek: x

3. Carys

Carys Registered Users

Hiya

Thankyou for that is effipro prescription only?

4. Carys

Carys Registered Users

I always buy online vets have ripped me off before with visit us prescription plus their costs.

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I use Bravecto and Drontal which is a good combo where I live.
    Did they say why their recommendation had changed??
    I but my Bravecto at petdrugs on line at a decent price. Drontal too to save postage but marginally cheaper other places.

6. Carys

Carys Registered Users

To be honest i just dont think they normally look.

Every time we see a different vet we get told something new.

However this time it was needing something to cover ticks.

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

No and it's also available on Amazon :) x

Carys likes this.
  8. MF

MF Registered Users

Be aware that all tick and flea products are pesticides and poisonous, intended to kill fleas and ticks. Some people report adverse effects to their dogs. I am one of those people - my dog had two grand mal seizures after taking Bravecto. I don’t use any pesticides on him at all. I use a spray-on repellent when we go to biliary areas. Fortunately where we live there are no dangerous diseases from ticks; if I see a tick, I remove it from my dog. He doesn’t have fleas. In some areas fleas are only prevalent in summer, and ticks only in spring after the winter rains, do there’s no point treating all year round, if it’s indeed necessary at all. Obviously your vet will be the one who is aware of what diseases are prevalent in your area and what you need to be protecting against.

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

@MF don't you worry about the ticks you don't see? Ticks in our area can cause Lymes disease which is nasty for dogs and humans. I worry about not finding all ticks as my dogs are black and I check them daily so I prefer to prevent a problem. I only treat from say around April to end of September beginning of October depending on how warm it is.

All medication is intended to kill something one way or another in humans and animals. I'm not taking any chances. xx

10. MF

MF Registered Users

We don’t have Lymes in our area. And neither biliary. The time we went on holiday to a biliary area, yes I was worried about ticks I couldn’t see, which is why I used Bravecto. The two seizures were awful, though, and since then I’ve read about terrible effects on dogs’ health - some cases resulting in death - from the chewable tablets. So I take precautions with a repellent spray.

Yes, some medications can result in death from overdose or misuse. But tick and flea products are not medications; they are pesticides.

11. Carys

Carys Registered Users

I do need something tick preventative as just had to have a minor op due to a tick getting inside his foot.

Our dog walker has confirmed she has been having to brush them off the dogs this season and there are loads.

12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

There have been a few reporting possible seizures after Bravecto, but I have always been fine (although I may not have used if if I had known this first). I really hate the spot-ons, and Lilly doesn't wear a collar in the house, so Seresto wasn't really an appealing option for me either. But the Seresto collars may be worth considering for your boy?

13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

@MF I'm not surprised you don't want to use anything after what happened to Snowie. I think it was @Karen dog Poppy that had seizures suspected after Bravecto use. I feel I have no choice but to use tick products with the amount of deer around where I live we get a lot of ticks so I don't want to risk a sick dog. What's the repellent you use and does it work effectively? x

14. MF

MF Registered Users

I have just got Wondercide from the US, which is a spray made from cedar bark and lemongrass. I must confess I don’t like the lemongrass smell and have only used it on our carpets, skirting boards, and Snowie’s bed - in case of fleas, although don’t think there are any. The smell goes away after a few hours. Haven’t sprayed it on Snowie yet due to the smell. Others who have used it swear by it. When I need it for ticks, I’ll spray it on Snowie.

In the past I used another spray with lemongrass and neem oil. The smell was awful and Snowie did get some ticks. It was in a biliary area, and we were on holiday for a week. He didn’t get biliary from the few ticks that did attach, which I pulled off.