Worms

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by jan67, Jan 5, 2017.

1. jan67

jan67 Registered Users

Hi. My pup is 20 weeks old. I had her to the vets about 5 weeks ago with her being off her food and occasional vomiting. They said she ok but to keep an eye on her. I was back a week later with full blown roundworm. She was given tablets for 6 days. I took her back after a week and was told her tummy was no longer swollen and she fine. today they are back again in her poo. Disgusting. Do I treat her myself over the counter or go back to vets?? Why didn't the medicine they gave her kill them all?? Why are they back? Should I change vets?? Thanks

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

How often are you worming your puppy? It's generally accepted that you should worm every two week until 12 weeks of age, then every month until 6 months. Every three months after that, except if you live in a heartworm area, where they need treating every month.

3. jan67

jan67 Registered Users

hi. we got her at 8 weeks and have given her what our vet recommended. That is only monthly though(obviously more when the roundworm appeared). I feel annoyed at our vets but I guess they can't do much more than what they've done. Thanks

4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

She could be re-infecting herself from somewhere? My dog found some cat poo and got round worm when she was 11 years old from eating it!

If you are still having a problem, is there a different wormer you could give? Always give one receommended by the vet.

5. jan67

jan67 Registered Users

Hi. Been to a different vet this morning. They now in her lungs aswell as her tummy. The original vet has been treating her every month (only 3 months)with the wrong medication! So they've still been in her system. How does this happen! I'm so upset. My poor puppy. Thank you for your reply

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Are they roundworms in her lungs, or lungworm? What medication was she on and what is she on now?

7. jan67

jan67 Registered Users

Hi. Yeah roundworms in her tummy and lungs. She was on medication for tapeworm! Now on Milbemax. Thanks

8. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Good gracious, how could they make such an elementary mistake :( I think you should tell them before they make a similar mistake on other dogs.

Added later:

Looking back at your original post you say she was given medication to take every day for 6 days, that sounds like Panacur which is for roundworms.

9. jan67

jan67 Registered Users

Hi. If it was panacur she had for 6 days(I can't remember the name) I'm wondering why they have come back? It makes me angry and I am certainly letting them know so other dogs don't go through it. It's just awful. My poor pup. Thank you for your reply

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It's quite normal for them to come back. Once a dog has an infestation of roundworms, re-infection is extremely easy. Roundworms are passed in poo and can live in the soil in your garden (or anywhere dogs poo) for a considerable amount of time.

Normally, puppies are treated extremely often for round worms - almost all puppies have them - and for quite a long period of time. After that, regular worming is required to reduce the worm burden your dog carries.

There is an article here: http://www.thelabradorsite.com/worms-in-dogs-how-to-keep-your-labrador-worm-free/

11. jan67

jan67 Registered Users

Thank you for that. It doesn't help I suppose when the vet was giving me a wormer treating the wrong worm every month. My pup was getting no protection from roundworm at all. I'm so annoyed. Hopefully now she is on the correct tablet - no more roundworms!