Worms

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Wendy68, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

The vet gave us some worming tablets for Izzy on friday. When she pooed on saturday there was worms, but on sunday there was none. But then this afternoon there is some more. Is this normal? Will they carry on? Do we need more wormer? I hate them...yuck!!

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: Worms

Hi Wendy - worms in pups are pretty common, and it is also common to see the worms being expelled in the poop.
    The worming meds should kill them, and likely what you see are dead worms (ie not wriggling :p )
    They are maybe working their way through.....
    Just follow the worming schedule given by your vet, which is dependent upon the brand (I think) to do the full job.
    BUT if in doubt, discuss it with your vet!!

3. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Ooooo gross me too, I've not seen any yet tho and wormed Bella the other day. I dint know the answer it that Wendy sure someone will though. I think I was told to worm her every 3 months? :)

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes - every three months.

If they have worms they will be pood out when wormed, otherwise not - of course :)

5. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=Boogie link=topic=9391.msg134928#msg134928 date=1420479933]
    Yes - every three months.

If they have worms they will be pood out when wormed, otherwise not - of course :)
    [/quote]

:) :) :) I don't want to see any!!!! :p

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I have never seen worms in poo. I think the dog is carrying quite a heavy worm load for that to happen (not unusual in pups, I think).

Frequency of wormer does vary by brand. Advocate is monthly, for example.

7. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

When Ezra arrived he had loads of worms in his poo and it was absolutely disgusting! I had always wonderd whether i would notice but you definately do. Gross!

8. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

Hopefully she will expel them all then. Back at vets on 15th so will check with her. Yuck yuck yuck!!

9. Boogie

Mine have Advocate monthly and Drontal 3 monthly (which covers the types of worms Advocate doesn't)

10. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Personally I would worm again in a month just to make sure.

11. Debs

Debs Registered Users

[quote author=Boogie link=topic=9391.msg134963#msg134963 date=1420486420]
    Mine have Advocate monthly and Drontal 3 monthly (which covers the types of worms Advocate doesn't)
    [/quote]

I popped into the vets on Saturday to get Drontal, as 3 month worming due, and was advised that as we use Advocate that worming is now done every 6 months. I did query this with a senior nurse and she said that they have been advising this for the last 3 months or so.

12. Boogie

I went today as Gypsy was due her Kennel Cough immunisation.

They gave me Advocate monthly and Drontal 3 monthly.

13. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Hmmm I did think it was a bit odd, but they were adamant that they were correct!

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

When I collected Charlie, his breeder gave me a card to show what treatments he had already had - about 3, I think. My vet took that and prescribed another few treatments for Charlie, can't remember now...then he moved onto an adult worming routine after that.

[quote author=Debs link=topic=9391.msg134972#msg134972 date=1420488025]
    I popped into the vets on Saturday to get Drontal, as 3 month worming due, and was advised that as we use Advocate that worming is now done every 6 months. I did query this with a senior nurse and she said that they have been advising this for the last 3 months or so.
    [/quote]

That doesn't sound quite right, although happy to be corrected if I've missed something....

Advocate does not treat tape worms. The recommended frequency is monthly. I had Charlie tested 6 weeks after advocate, and he was clear of worms, so I now give advocate every 6 weeks. That might not be the same for all dogs though.

One vet at the centre I go to says 3 months for tapeworm treatment. The senior vet, who knows Charlie better, says since Charlie is not a great scavenger 6 months might be ok...I give a tapeworm treatment every 3 months though.

15. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

I checked the Drontal thing a couple of weeks ago and was told 3 monthly. Chepi's all wormed out, what with her treatment for intestinal nasties. I have seen worms in poo after worming in the past. It can last quite a while - google it ( I did). And WASH YER HANDS!!!! :p

16. CDM

CDM Registered Users

So some of you worm 3 monthly eg drontal but also advocate monthly?! Is just every 3 months not enough?

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Drontal and Advocate do different things...

18. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Ok I'll check with the vets!

19. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Until 6 months old, worm monthly. Then Drontal is every 3 months but advocate is monthly. Not that I am an expert.

20. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=Jane Martin link=topic=9391.msg135005#msg135005 date=1420490671]
    Until 6 months old, worm monthly. Then Drontal is every 3 months but advocate is monthly. Not that I am an expert.
    [/quote]

Worm monthly? Bella had Milbimax and he said another 3 months?! :eek: