Worried

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Samantha Jones, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Hi all, just looking for some advice - I have a vets appointment for Bailey but not until 3.30pm this afternoon. Sorry this is a bit of a long one....

Last night when I came home from work I noticed two things about Bailey - one his tail was not wagging when I came in (he is the waggiest dog I have ever known, we often say his butt will fall off if he wags much more!) and then he went to sit down but stood back up before his butt got to the floor.

There has been no whining or yelping. He is walking normally and it is not stopping him getting on the settee or bed - he just can not seem to get comfortable - all night long he was very restless (usually sleeps like a log). He is eating and drinking as normal.

This morning he has been for a short walk (he will not toilet in the garden) and he has had his usual number of poos and wees without issue - he has run about (on lead as he morning toilet run is near a busy main road) scratched up some grass after going to the toilet as normal, just once he seemed to do a little skip after scratching up grass, back right leg. And STILL his tail is hardly moving, no wag at all :(

Yesterday he went for a swim in the river - the first time he has done this - he saw a duck and got into the river, and it was the first time he has swam properly - rather than just paddled - he got in and out of the river without issue, banks are sloped down to the river rather than a straight drop. He was running around like a loon afterwards and was throwing himself on the ground rolling around (I had to check it wasn't in fox poo - but no it was just rolling in the grass), as if he was trying to dry himself.

OH said while I was at work he was curled up on the settee with him asleep, and he walked perfectly well.

OH has just come in from the garden and Bailey is trying to wag his tail - but it is just the very bottom of it. Vet said to try and keep him quiet and rested as much as possible until we go and see them, which we are doing.

Has anyone any ideas what this could be/had experience of this themselves?

Thank you from a tired, worried pup mum

2. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

Sorry I have nothing to contribute, but I hope you are sorted by the vets and Bailey is okay.. Sending love and hugs x

Samantha Jones likes this.
  3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

It's so awful when something's not right.

I wonder if it's a slightly delayed case of limber tail, which is a temporary paralysis of the tail due to muscle contractions.

I've just arrived at my parents in laws place so have to run but do a search on limber tail or cold tail on the forum.

4. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

My friend has a staffy with the waggiest tail. One day when she got home from work it was just limp, and she was really worried.

She rushed her to the vets because she thought it was broken. The vets did loads of X-rays and tests - it turns out poor Dotty had cramp from wagging it too much.

It was back to normal in a few days.

Hopefully it might just be something similar :)

Cherry and Samantha Jones like this.
  5. Samantha Jones

Thank you @Oberon - I have searched Limber tail on the forum and good old google - pictures certainly look as if this may be what Bailey has. Hopefully rest and visit to the vets will confirm and improve it - water in the river was cold - trust my loopy boy to choose the coldest day of the week to go swimming!

6. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

There are loads of people on the forum whose pups suffer from limber tail - I'm lucky that Pongo is OK, but for example I think @Naya has had this with Harley and I'm sure can offer advice!
    (Someone told me another name for limber tail is "broken wag". Poor pup!)

7. Samantha Jones

It is really upsetting to see his tail just hanging there - and him not being able to sit down :( I am feeling more reassured after reading up about limber tail, but grateful for any advice from anyone who has experience.....just want to make my boy comfortable until we go to the vets

Rosie likes this.
  8. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

A previous Lab of mine had limber tail, especially in cold weather. It would pass after a day or two and she would be back to her old self.

9. MF

MF Registered Users

So worrying for you. Best of luck at the vet. Let us know what the vet says. Hopefully some rest is all that is needed. With all that wagging one wonders these Labs don't get cramp more often!

10. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Willow has had limber tail from over-wagging. It's so sad to see, and is obviously very painful. Your vet may prescribe painkillers for him. It took Willow a few days until it righted itself.

11. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

it must really hurt, Oban whimpered all night. The next day he went to field training but that night I gave him one, 325 mg human aspirin and that helped all of us to sleep. In three days he was fine. My Vet has ok'd aspirin for pain once in a blue moon. He'd been swimming too, diving from a bank into a pond and the water was quite warm. I'm told it's a hazard of dock diving, the tail goes SMACK when it hits the water.

12. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Mine had Limber tail once, it does get better quite quickly. It can be painful and if it is Limber tail the vet may give you some pain killers for him.

13. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Gypsy had it, it makes them miserable - she improved within three days. I would get painkillers from the vet - always useful to have in for the future too.

The cause with Gypsy was swimming in a very cold reservoir.

14. Samantha Jones

I am guessing it is hurting him - but he's not whimpered at all, he just can't settle - the most comfortable position for him seems to be laid on his side, curled up with his head and all four feet on my lap (or OH's lap). He does look so sad for himself. He has tried to wag the bottom of his tail just now but he did stop quickly and gave his back end a look! Bless him :(

15. Dalliance

Dalliance Registered Users

Ebony my previous lab had the same problem once a day after having gone swimming , a couple of days later her tail was back to its waggy self ...so please dont worry too much .

16. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Moo had it when she was younger it really must hurt she was so sad. She had some pain killers and anti inflamatories and she was back to her waggy shelf in a few days.best wishes hope it is something simple like that

17. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Poor Bailey how miserable for him :( I really hope he gets some pain meds and starts to feel better soon. Hugs to him :hug:xxx

18. Samantha Jones

Thank you all - yes it is limber tail. Have some doggy pain killer/anti inflammatory liquid to put in his food once a day. The good news is that the wag is slowly coming back - but after he's been wagging you can see it is really uncomfortable for him as he holds his tail really close and his little face just looks so sad :(

A weeks rest (and yes the vet did have the grace to laugh when she said this looking at Bailey inspecting every last thing in her room!) and the pain meds once a day. We have another appointment next Wednesday but he is due his boosters then anyway, so she will double check all going well with his tail. Go back in two days if no improvement at all - but to be honest from where we were at midnight last night there is so much improvement already.

:bone::tail::chuckle:

19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Get better soon Bailey, we can't have a Labrador without a full on tail wag :) x

MF and Samantha Jones like this.
  20. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Fingers and paws crossed for a mended wag very soon!