Wow, Rue woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rue7514, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

I was nearly in tears when I left for work! Not a good morning.

She has been very well behaved the last few days, and this morning, it's as if she decided "Ha! Enough of that, lady!" and just completely lost it.

She woke up extra early this morning for some reason (4:45 AM) and even after taking her to the bathroom, she barked and barked and barked. She normally goes right back to sleep. My husband went ahead and got up to feed her. She continues to bark and bark afterward.

I let her out of her crate and she went on a crazy rampage through the house, attempting to destroy whatever was in her path, running in crazy circles. She wouldn't listen to sit or stay commands. She wouldn't play fetch or tug-of-war as we normally do in the mornings. The biting and scratching was extra bad. She wouldn't walk on her leash. She normally does perfect on our morning walks and absolutely loves them. Today, she kept biting the leash, jumping and running around in crazy circles, throwing herself on the ground, etc.

She normally always stays in the yard (garden). Today, she kept taking off across the street and wouldn't come back when called. She also wouldn't pee -- not even her favorite treat helped!

What causes this type of random behavior? This was the worst morning to date. This isn't a sign that something is wrong, is it? Just her being a puppy?

2. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Re: Wow, Rue woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

How old is Rue now? It could be the dreaded teenager days.

3. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

[quote author=Leanangle link=topic=7976.msg112382#msg112382 date=1411570967]
    How old is Rue now? It could be the dreaded teenager days.
    [/quote]

15 weeks. She has her crazy moments daily, believe me ...but never to the point where she completely loses all sense and is uncontrollable! She was not having her usual routine whatsoever, and she normally enjoys it.

4. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Blimey,you sound like you had a right tussle with her!has she settled down a bit now?I didn't have Dexter at this age but at 5 months he could still have mad moments....ours were usually in the eve though and we called it 'The Prowl' he just went looking for mischief ....things he wouldn't dream of doing at other times of the day.what you've describes sounds full on but I've read it before from other 'Puppy Survivors ' so I think all is well.Do you use a crate,or do you have a certain area in the house you could contain her?Giving her a bit of down time in a quiet place might give her an opportunity to reboot herself and come back a bit calmer x

5. lorilou61

lorilou61 Registered Users

Edsel had these about 1-2 times a week around 4-6 months. Still occasionally acts up but not nearly as often. Sometimes think he may have been over tired but other times just behaving bratty! ;D I would either put him in his crate or remove myself from his presence. Probably so I didn't choke him. Some days he got himself righted quickly, other days it was an all day test! Think they just have "off" days like the rest of us sometimes but they can be quite the handful when they want to be. Hopefully just a phase in maturing.

Lori

6. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=7976.msg112409#msg112409 date=1411577910]
    Blimey,you sound like you had a right tussle with her!has she settled down a bit now?I didn't have Dexter at this age but at 5 months he could still have mad moments....ours were usually in the eve though and we called it 'The Prowl' he just went looking for mischief ....things he wouldn't dream of doing at other times of the day.what you've describes sounds full on but I've read it before from other 'Puppy Survivors ' so I think all is well.Do you use a crate,or do you have a certain area in the house you could contain her?Giving her a bit of down time in a quiet place might give her an opportunity to reboot herself and come back a bit calmer x
    [/quote]

She has the evening episodes here and there as well, but they're usually short! We have a crate and then a separate carrier we use for timeout. I put her in the timeout carrier, and she was throwing a giant fit to the point where she was moving the carrier across the floor!

[quote author=lorilou61 link=topic=7976.msg112414#msg112414 date=1411578434]
    Edsel had these about 1-2 times a week around 4-6 months. Still occasionally acts up but not nearly as often. Sometimes think he may have been over tired but other times just behaving bratty! ;D I would either put him in his crate or remove myself from his presence. Probably so I didn't choke him. Some days he got himself righted quickly, other days it was an all day test! Think they just have "off" days like the rest of us sometimes but they can be quite the handful when they want to be. Hopefully just a phase in maturing.

Lori
    [/quote]

Oh no, don't scare me! I don't know if I can take mornings like that on a regular basis! ;) But you're right, we all have mornings when we wake up wanting to break the rules, I suppose.

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Rue7514 link=topic=7976.msg112484#msg112484 date=1411590606]

I put her in the timeout carrier, and she was throwing a giant fit to the point where she was moving the carrier across the floor!

[/quote]

Oh I don't mean to ,as I know she's driven you mad yesterday but the picture that sentence creates in my mind,I've just had to have a giggle about it......

Dexter got marched home from the desert this morning after he played 'keep away and eat it' with a big lizard carcass.....at least the size of a rat......I was so cross with him he got crated when we got in too...which was pointless as he had no idea by that time why I was ticked off with him .Ill give you a laugh back ,
    My neighbour heard me berating him.....telling him how ungrateful he is,how unacceptable his behaviour is and how he's not going to daycare to play with his friends until he learns how to behave.My neighbour popped his head round the wall and said 'Wow,if he understands all that ,I really don't think you've got too much to worry !' :-[ Made me feel better saying it though! ;D
    He might not remember why but he knows he's in disgrace and is giving me very mournful looks .....I'm not ready to be friends yet though! ;)

8. A.Causer

A.Causer Registered Users

Omg this reassures me so much. Amber gets a proper talking to about knowing how to behave, that she should make better choices, being old enough to know better, co-operation etc etc. she has no clue what I'm going on about but I feel better for it. She knows when she's in my bad books and slopes around seeking attention from good cop aka best friend aka her dad. My OH is useless at ignoring her and is definitely the soft touch in our house.

9. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Another one here who gives VERBALS whilst her dog looks on perplexed. But I think they are very intuitive creatures and they do pick up on your emotions. I don't think it does them any harm to learn in a usually loving enviroment that you can push people too far.

And that is exactly the same advice I gave my daughter yesterday when she got very shouty with her 3 year old

10. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

I don't know the answer to your question (what causes this random behaviour) but we need to remember that we are different species: your pup is not a child but a young dog. Not sure this helps you but having read your post it made me think and that's what I came up with.

11. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

I think I sounded a bit snippy there! Sorry, I lost my sense of humour temporarily!!! :eek:

12. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Glad you found your sense of humour again. It can desert one in the dark mornings and there's more of those to come.

I quite agree that dogs and humans are not the same species, but I do think both respond well to positive reinforcement.