WT in Germany this Sunday with Brösel

Discussion in 'Gundog Training, Fieldwork, & Field Trials' started by Christoph W, May 20, 2019.

1. Christoph W

Christoph W Registered Users

As promised I’m going to try to give you guys a little summary of the WT me and my boy Brösel took part in yesterday. We finished 4th (111/120 points) only 3 points behind the winner and we sadly lost the run-off for 3rd place. But anyways Brösel worked super nicely all day and I’m super happy we did so well in our first WT this year.

There where 3 judges with 2 exercises each so we had 6 tasks to complete:

1: Mark1- Walkup- Mark 2 (high grass and very undulating)

First Mark was thrown in a high grass area about 25 meters away from us. Tricky since the helper stood right next too us so we had a very close shot and a dummy that was thrown away from us (easy to have your dog run in here if not super steady). Then we turned 90 degrees and had a Apr. 60m walkup away from the dummy. Then Dummy number 2 was thrown by a second helper roughly 80m away into some bushes. We turned again and D1 was retrieved followed by D2 (we got 20 points here)

2: Mark and Memory

The Dummy was thrown in high grass 100m away. The dog was sent for the retrieve. While the dog returned a 2nd dummy was placed in the same spot (without the dog seeing it of course lol). We then turned 90 degrees and did a short walkup (20m) and then the dog was sent for D2. (18/20 points for us)

3: Mark and Memory (again lol)

That exercise was basically a mirror thing from task 2(great when the judges communicate so well hehehe). Only difference was that distances where a little farther. Like 150m maybe. (19/20)

4: Double Marks

We started off standing in a little wooden area. One dummy (D1) was thrown 80m away deeper into the trees and a second at a 45-degree angle out of the woods into a high grass area like 100m away (D2) from us. The dog was sent at D1 then D2 (18/20).

5: Walkup – Mark and Memory

This was a pretty fun and rather unusual exercise tbh. We had a little walkup (50m) then a dummy was thrown into a little forest (80m away). The handler returned to the judge while the dog had to stay out with his back to the dummy. Then he was sent with a “Back” command to get the dummy. While he returned, a memory dummy was placed, and he was sent for that retrieve from the original starting point. (17 points because I had to use a sit command….hm…yes)

6: Mark and Memory (do you see the pattern here lol)

A dummy was thrown 150m away in an open and high grass field (very hard to mark because there where no real orientation points only high grass). The owner had to walk 15 steps call the dog and sent him for the dummy (hard since the dog lost the mark because of the change of position). Second dummy was a memory retrieve in (roughly) the same spot. (19/20)

2. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

That sounds like a great first Working Test of the year! Well done to you and Brösel :)

3. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

Fantastic, well done you two! Was this a novice test? If so, does the winner go straight into open?

4. Christoph W

No we had the rule in Austria that you have to go 1 class higher once you finished excellent for 3 times in the lower class. But we dont have that anymore so you can basically stay in novice forever if you want.

5. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

That sounds good. There is nothing worse than winning out of novice due to a bit of luck, when you are not ready for Open (ask me how I know :)!)
    Do you not get blind retrieves in Novice tests?

6. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

Well done :)

7. Christoph W

HAHAHA i know what you mean! A friend of mine got talked into an Open start last year (dog was hardly passing novice tests at this point) and of course she PASSED! So there she was in Open class with no chance of passing again for quite a while :rofl:

We do get blind retrieves but it strongly depends on the judge and the terrain we are working in. I've had marks that where way harder to retrieve than some blinds we had to face in the last few years tbh. I'm quite happy that the trend to "Blind only" Open and Novice WTs has slowed down a little and we are getting a good mix of different aspects of work (blind, lost, mark, line work etc.) I mean, wasn't a WT supposed to be like an actual hunt only with dummys instead of game once? In what kind of hunt does a dog get to retrieve only birds he didn't see coming down?:rofl:

8. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

I completely agree! Regarding a test supposed to be testing the skill of the dog seems to have changed a lot. On a shoot day, a gun may tell me "there's a bird down in that wood". I want to be able to send the dog into the woods, carry on working the other dogs and expect the dog to find a bird in the woods. Being able to handle a dog onto a sixpence, is very useful, but so is a dog who can find game.