Xena and the cat biscuits

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Xena Dog Princess, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

I took Xena out for a walk this afternoon. I never usually do this, but because I gave her a shorter morning walk, I thought I'd treat her with an afternoon stroll. So we get up to school and I let her off the lead. I've let her off the lead there since she was 10.5 weeks old. The only problem is her hoovering up bits of orange peel and apple cores, no biggie. But today, ooooh today, she bolts off and disappears into the trees at the side of the field. No worries, it's fenced. But, she doesn't come out. I poke my head in and can't see her or hear her. I call. I work my way down the treeline but can't see her. The trees are very thick and I can't see in properly, and without a saw to cut through the branches I can't actually get to the fence. She can't be stuck - she's only wearing a collar and she could easily back out of it if she was stuck. I'm almost in tears.

So she must have got over the fence. Yikes. 15 minutes has passed by this time. And then I notice a section of fence that has slightly fallen down, enough for a dog to jump over. And then I spot her, in the neighbour's property. Then the neighbour appears, asks if I've lost my dog. YES I'VE JUST SEEN HER and then BAM she reappears. The neighbour calls her over, and the blooming dog disappears around the other side of the house. So I scramble down and we head around the house...she's nowhere to be seen. I dash down the drive in case she's run onto the road, but she's not there. I run back up the drive and then somebody inside the house says "here she is". So we run to the house. Bloody Xena has run into their living room, all waggy tail :rolleyes: I call her excitedly, surely she's scared and wondering where I am?

IS SHE HECK.

She proceeds to run into their kitchen and starts SCARFING THEIR CAT BISCUITS. The lady has to get the cat food container and shake the biscuits to lure to her out of their house. Then she jumps all over the lady in thanks. Could not care less about her very worried mum.

I was so relieved, but by now very sweaty. Still, despite her high excitement we managed a nice lead walk and I spent the entire time thinking "it's Benson and the handbag warehouse all over again". And now I'm not letting her off the lead at school ever again.

drjs@5, Kelsey&Axel, Emily and 10 others like this.
  2. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Oh wow I'd be a wreck after that! So glad she's safe :heart:

Now I'm wondering...hmm...cat biscuits...something new to try :D

charlie likes this.
  3. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I can imagine how you felt at the time but... :cwl: sorry!

4. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I am sorry to laugh! :cwl:I do know that sinking omgwherearethey? feeling so well!

Glad your little madam is safe and sound. I have found if they have gone on an adventure once, and enjoyed it, they remember and are very motivated to go back again!

Oh the handbag factory and humpy backed Benson nabbing highlighter pens and handbags. having zoomies down through the warehouse..OMG!!..they do love him though and I often give a dozen free eggs to the owner, just to keep them sweet! :)

Naya, drjs@5 and charlie like this.
  5. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Definitely never letting her off near the field ever again then!

Just before we sat down for dinner she did a MASSIVE spew, but scarfed almost all of it back down before I could grab gloves and clear it up. So I got the gloves ready and waited for round 2. She's just spewed it all back up again (on the towel by the back door, bless her) and this time OH and I were fast - he grabbed her and I picked through it *blerg* - her kibble, a banana peel, bits of apple, what must be the cat biscuits, and a whole heap of leafy bits and pieces that she must have eaten during her escape. I'm pretty sure that this spew is related to her adventure and not the squirts from last night, but she's just had some rice to fill her tummy so we'll see how that goes. Flaming Nora, these dogs are a worry.

kateincornwall and Kelsey&Axel like this.
  6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

:cwl:Flipping hilarious.

7. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

:chuckle: They ALWAYS get you when you're doing something nice for them like an extra walk, then you think - why did I bother?

Glad she's safe & sound x

8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

When we were on holiday just outside Gerona the summer before last, I took W&S on a walk down a long country track. No cars in sight, very remote, absolutely lovely. We walked past a farmhouse, Willow bolted off towards it and into the open outhouse, where there were four bowls of cat food down. By the time I got there, they were all very empty. I grabbed her and sprinted out of there before we were caught. They must have thought their cats were really hungry that day!

After that, we always walked past on lead, and she was always very keen to go back :D

drjs@5 and charlie like this.
  9. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Those were very nice people you met, who helped you. I bet they had good stories to tell too.

When she ran into that house did you go in too? Oban just sauntered into the neighbour's across the street one day, following their dog who he was in love with (she was spayed but he loved her anyway, not literally) and I stayed outside wondering if I should go haul him out. One of the kids brought him out. To this day I wonder if the lady was thinking I should have gone in to get him.

kateincornwall likes this.
  10. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Oh I am sorry, but I can't help it :cwl::cwl:

11. Cath

Cath Registered Users

When we were in France, Fred was outside doing a bit of sunbathing. When I went out to have a look at him, there was no sign. I called his name and a voice came back, "He's in here having his breakfast". He had gone to the next cottage, where there were 6 men from the UK having breakfast and missing their dogs. When I went in to get him back they said He loves black pudding :facepalm:

Naya, drjs@5, Kelsey&Axel and 6 others like this.
  12. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

:cwl::cwl: Fred you are just class!

Cath likes this.
  13. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

I've told this story before but a childhood lab used to escape from our garden, walk the half mile to the local parade of shops, present herself to the butcher and wait until he gave her a bone. Once bone was given she'd come home! Once he didn't have a bone so he went to another butcher to get one for her while she waited for him to return. The cheek of it!

Naya, Beanwood, Kelsey&Axel and 4 others like this.
  14. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Shouldn't laugh, but Xena, COME ON!:rofl:

15. MF

MF Registered Users

When I was a child we had a boxer x bulldog (or something - I was too young to know, and she was an old dog to me), her name was Lulu. She didn't have to escape - there were no gates, dogs roamed as they pleased. Anyway when she was younger she raided the biology lab at school and ate all the specimens! And the door knobs at the school!! Our childhood dogs had a far more independent lifestyle!

Kelsey&Axel, Joy and Plum's mum like this.
  16. MF

MF Registered Users

I'm like you. Snowie, on the other hand, sees an open door as an invitation to visit AND explore! He's been into all the neighbours' houses and I do not feel comfortable following him inside, feel I'm invading their privacy. He knows exactly where all the cats and dog food bowls are - makes a beeline! He is so naughty, even put his front paws up onto a neighbour's kitchen counter to see what they were having for dinner. They adore him, think he's a character cos he also loves to run on their trampoline; in fact, he's a regular topic of conversation in their house - thankfully!! Cos he knows no boundaries when it comes to other people's houses.

drjs@5, Kelsey&Axel and Plum's mum like this.
  17. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

That is hilarious!!
    :D

18. MF

MF Registered Users

It was a family story my father loved to tell. We all loved it! I was too young to remember it happening and yet I can see it clearly in my mind's eye.

19. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

At the weekend moo and Rory were having a morning mooch on the park and turned to see them both with a round of toast in their smiling gobs. Toast! I just count myself lucky it wasn't a dead thing or a pair of poo filled pants

kateincornwall, drjs@5 and MF like this.
  20. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Phew, so glad Xena was found safe and sound :) I think we have all had a few hairy moments like that, me probably more than most with Charlie :rolleyes: x