Yellow Lab digestion issues

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by NewLabMommy, Jul 26, 2017.

1. NewLabMommy

NewLabMommy Registered Users

Hi all! Max is now a little over 4 months. A couple weeks ago I discussed some digestive issues with his breeder, diarrhea and frequent stools. His first food was Costco's Nature's Domain. It is a grain free chicken based food. She said that by 4 months she switches her labs to Nutra Nuggets adult food. This is also a chicken based food. Since switching to Nutra nuggets per her advice his stools are even more frequent. They aren't as loose, but he sometimes appears to be uncomfortable or straining when pooing.

His puppy class trainer said we should switch back to puppy food. I am researching now which to try first. I'm guessing that the chicken may be causing him some trouble since both foods he's tried were chicken based and both gave him trouble. I'm not sure though if I should maybe try Natural Balance or Blue Buffalo as the trainer suggested or another kibble. I also read really good reviews about "Only Natural Pet EasyRaw" - they have a lamb and seeet potato formula that seems good. I am just concerned about the cost. I would definitely appreciate any advice. Thanks!!

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hi , chicken does seem to affect some dogs , my own for sure ! He will suffer terribly if he eats a chicken based kibble or even chicken itself . One thing to bear in mind is that often , a more expensive food actually doesn't work out more expensive because they require less of it than a cheaper brand . At four months, he should still be on a puppy food , he needs the extra protein , but try a chicken free one !

3. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm UK based so I don't know the American dog foods. Holly stayed on puppy foods for her first 6 months then switched to junior. We didn't put her onto adult food until about a year old.

If max is having poop problems it might be worth checking with the vet to be sure that there are no other issues.

Some UK brands do foods for sensitive stomachs. If the vet is happy it might be worth trying something that is easier on his digestion. Also, when changing foods don't change it all at once because that can upset a puppy's digestion. Gradually change over a week by mixing in progressively more new food with the old.

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

We fed puppy food until Harley was about 1 year old. We then changed to adult. Harley has a very sensitive tummy and after numerous issues found out she was wheat intolerant. I use a more expensive food (in the UK), but it doesn't actually work out more in the long run.