1. WELCOME

To join the conversation, please register. It only takes a minute!

YES! Shock collars to be banned in Scotland!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training: Principle and Practice' started by snowbunny, Jan 25, 2018.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Snowy, Karen, Kelsey&Axel and 4 others like this.
  2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

They can still use em if they have training though:( it's not as an affective ruling as a lot of people wanted. Tiny steps are better than none at all:)

3. snowbunny

My understanding is that they were originally going to be allowed "under supervision" with a qualification being created specifically for this purpose. But now that qualification isn't going to be created, so there is no remit for "under supervision". Hence, their use is effectively banned.

4. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

How effective has the ban been in Wales, does anybody know? Don't get me wrong, it's great to see that Scotland has taken this step, but it's so easy to buy a shock collar from overseas, and they're bound to get through customs very easily - people will just buy from elsewhere, won't they?

5. snowbunny

It's a ban on the use rather than on the purchase, I believe. People have been prosecuted for using them in Wales.

Rosie and Jojo83 like this.
  6. snowbunny

7. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Another step forward. I meant to post the news yesterday evening but was busy chatting on FB forums and celebrating the move. :clap::happyfeet:

8. snowbunny

9. Lisa

Lisa Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Excellent!! :clap:

10. Andrew Faulkner

Andrew Faulkner Active Member

Wow now here is where we differ my new friends. Shock collars used correctly with Shock/Beep technology is very much needed in some cases. Dogs are animals and do not always comply with their owner's commands. My lab starts to run near a road or about to get into a situation where he can be harmed a shock is a very last thing I worry about rather than him getting ran over or possibly attacked by something. I only use it in a situation that could be dire. I use the beep and vibrate option 90% of the time if I need it. I love my lab more than anything in the world to the point my lab has slept in the bed with us to the point I had to buy a King size bed for all of us to fit. I'm quite sure Bella will end up there too.

11. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Under no circumstances are shock collars justified. Most progress educated countries ban them. I look forward to the ban in the uk. There is never a reason to use them that good training can't correct.i don't electrocute my friends it does more harm than good.

Naya, edzbird, Jojo83 and 1 other person like this.
  12. snowbunny

Hi Andrew, please review the forum rules: https://thelabradorforum.com/threads/forum-rules-please-read-before-posting.1599/

This forum supports and promotes positive reinforcement training. Members may not advise others to use painful punishments on their dogs, nor promote the use of punishment in dog training by posting anecdotes or images which endorse the use of such punishment.

Shock collars are being banned in more and more countries because they are deemed as being unnecessary and cruel. They are never needed. Dogs that don't "comply with commands" are dogs that have not been appropriately trained, and that's the responsibility of the owner, not the fault of the dog. It is therefore not appropriate to punish the dog for the handler's failures.
    If you are walking your dog by a road, then he doesn't need to be on a shock collar, he needs to be on a lead. The fact that a vibrate setting is used most of the time is not justification - it is using a threat to the dog that pain is to follow.

More than this, using a collar runs the very real and high risk of the dog becoming afraid or reactive to other things in his environment.

As per the rule above, we won't enter into any discussion or anecdotes of how useful they can be. We believe there is never any justification and welcome the continued movement towards banning them.

You might find this useful: https://petprofessionalguild.com/Myths-and-Misconceptions