Yet another puppy poo post...(sorry)

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by jeckroat, Sep 2, 2014.

1. jeckroat

jeckroat Registered Users

Just a quick question.....

Scout is now 14 weeks old. She is currently eating 3 cups of food per day. one cup each at breakfast lunch and dinner. She is very consistent with her poop. She goes first thing in the morning on her walk, after lunch, after dinner, and usually again on her walk before bedtime around 10:30pm.

My question is this. Every time she goes she always squats and poos a very decent amount and it is solid (sorry this is so graphic) then she always walks a couple of steps away and squats again and poos an equal amount again but it is very soft. Its not liquid but it is definitely much softer. Is this something to worry about? We feed her Science Diet large breed puppy food.

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: Yet another puppy poo post...(sorry)

Hi, sometimes you get that kind of poop with over-feeding, but it doesn't sound like she is getting too much :-\
    Lilly was almost constantly soft at that age, so I am probably no help on this.
    I am a bit wary of chopping and changing food. Might be best to wait for more more advice I think.....

3. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

You perhaps don't need to feed 'Large Breed' as Labs are more of a medium sized dog. Otherwise her poo is like my Lab, starts firm and ends sloppyish; could be over feeding, could be just normal to her. I don't think I would worry about it, but to reassure you, why not give the vet a ring?

4. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

It does sound like over feeding poo to me. Try reducing each meal by about a handful of kibble. If this helps you have solved the problem!

Lots of us on here don't feed anywhere near the manufacturers guidelines for food as it can be just too much for a lot of dogs.

Also personally I don't believe that labs should be fed large breed food as they are technically not classed as a large breed, but that's just my opinion. Many people do feed it and without issue so it's personal choice :)

5. jeckroat

jeckroat Registered Users

We have an appointment for her final round of shots tomorrow evening. When we were there three weeks ago and I talked to her she recommended "Large Breed" food so that is what we purchased. We also discussed feeding and she said she thought the amount we were feeding was fine. In fact, she mentioned that some puppies will eat as much as five cups of food per day but she thought that may be excessive. I guess I'll discuss the issue with her tomorrow night and see what she thinks.