You expect me to go outside...in the rain?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Xena Dog Princess, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

I've just spent over 30 minutes outside in the pouring rain trying to encourage Xena to wee. After 5 minutes of me standing there she walked down the steps then promptly ran back up and sat on the doormat. She did this 3 times. So I picked her up and plonked her in the garden...she ran back to the mat. No amount of squeaky pleading on my behalf would get her down. We're now over 20 minutes in. I finally take her down again and block her access to the steps and just wait for her to wee.

Yes, 30 minutes in she finally wees and I rewarded with heaps of treats. I've got no idea if I did the right thing or not. When I took her out it had been over 2 hours since her last wee and we'd played and trained and she'd had a drink so I knew that she was busting and that I couldn't risk letting her back inside. God, please don't tell me I've traumatised my dog? Is it normal/not unheard of for puppies/dogs to not want to go outside when it's raining?

2. Sim

Sim Registered Users

Sounds similar to Enzo, sits on the door step next to me and just looks out, I find myself thinking I wish he would sit this nicely by me when it's sunny haha. I then walk out the garden and hide under the parasol to try and encourage him out.
    We had his first walk in pouring down rain yesterday, he wasn't keen to leave the house but seemed to enjoy it once we were out and about, I thought it would be good to get him used to the rain and help towards garden we time in the rain, he was soaking by the time we got home. He still dodged every puddle though :)

Naya and Cath like this.
  3. mcatalao

mcatalao Registered Users

Wuki does me the same just with wind! We live at the top of a hill, and this is very very windy.
    Even with risen walls. I really wonder how it will be when it rains, but hopefully Wuki will be a little older then...

4. mcatalao

mcatalao Registered Users

PS.: 30 minutes is killing, for me and for such a small puppy. Usually i come home a bit, for 10 or so minutes, and go back again.

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Obi is the same. He's 4! If it's raining (even slightly) he will not leave the house for something as trivial as toilet duties. It is definitely a pain...

niclibrarylady likes this.
  6. Xena Dog Princess

Well this is comforting! At least an older dog can hold it in, don't have that luxury with puppies :( She just went out in the now gentle rain for a wee so she's not too traumatised I hope. Heavy rain forecast until at least Sunday though so do the next few days should be...interesting.

Does Obi's dislike of rain mean that you can't walk him when it's wet?

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

He will still go for a walk if it's raining slightly (a walk is way more exciting than having a wee).

Yeah, at least with an adult dog I have a big safety margin... It's not at all easy with a puppy! Hope you have some dry weather ahead.

8. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right way to do this. But we had tge same issue recently with heavy rain and wind. Decided to take a large umbrella to where I wanted her to go. This worked as she stayed semi dried. Then gradually removed the umbrella after a few trips out. Now she will go unless it is really bad, then she just sits next to the umbrella and looks at me. She is 19weeks now...

Might be worth a try.

On a different note, do your dogs try and wipe the rain frim their eyes with their paws when out and about? (Thought I would ask given that this is about rain. Sorry to highjack)

9. Stryker

Stryker Registered Users

I was reading about this some where else and started to apply it to Stryker and it seems to be working but wont really know until it rains here in California. I wish I could remember where I found the write up so I could share it but here is the basic concept of things.

Take your dog outside.
    Put a sprinkler in the off position in his/her favorite potty spot.
    Turn the sprinkler on very low.
    Over several days slowly increase the water
    Encourage your dog to check out the sprinkler
    Do this at potty times and in time the dog should no longer avoid rain. The length of how long you do this determines on your dog.

I have been doing this with Stryker and he seems to not be bothered by it. He'll play a little in the water but it doesn't effect him. My other dog, I only had to ask him if he wanted to go outside. He loved water no matter the form as long it was from the bath.

Good luck and I hope if you try it that it works for you. I wont know 100% how well it works until it rains but it hasn't stopped him from going potty in the sprinkler.

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Or make it a game.
    Just put on your shorts and t-shirt and go play outside.....make lots of fun noises, laugh, play fetch, make it the best fun ever to play in the rain.
    Neighbours may think you're mad but you may not care!

Cath, snowbunny and Naya like this.
  11. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Hi Bailey hates going out for a wee when its raining too. He is now 5 and a half months old, he will leave it until he really has to go, runs out does what he has to do and then runs back in to the dry! Walks are another matter - pick up the lead and he's fine - but will NOT go out of the back door with his lead on...front door only! It can be drizzling or pouring hard it doesn't matter! He loves water though...river, sea, paddling pool, bath but weeing in the rain is apparently disgusting!

Xena Dog Princess and Naya like this.
  12. Xena Dog Princess

Righto team, thanks for the advice. Will remember to put the umbrella by the back door, and will hopefully not have to strip off and do a silly dance to entice her (it's winter and I have a cold!) As long as I haven't caused any lifelong trauma by making lady muck get her paws wet! :rain:

drjs@5 likes this.
  13. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Love it :D

14. Bruer

Bruer Registered Users

Is this at 4 in the morning? :rain:
    :cwl:

drjs@5 likes this.
  15. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I have rigged up an umbrella arrangement for the tiny pups. Well, for me waiting for tiny pups. I learned my lesson when I had umbrella in one hand and pup in the other and she took a flying leap out of my arms. She was just fine, but scared me!

Now Tatze (3 years old) has started a 'I hate weeing on long grass and will NOT wee on concrete or gravel' phase. It's too wet to cut the lawn so she waits for her walk.

Today she's second to be walked. I'm taking her soon - 11am - and she still hasn't weed since 10pm last night :rolleyes::rolleyes:. WHERE does she store it???

16. Millieboo

Millieboo Registered Users

Millie been the same way, she's now 6 months old. She refused to do her wee and poop outside in the beginning when it was raining and ran back to the door, I went and picked her up and put her back where she always go. I could do this for about 30/40 mins and when she went she got a banana (my dog loves bananas and apples to death). Now she go even if it's raining, but it took a couple of raining days, if it's raining outside and she runs out and do her buisiness and get back in she runs to where we keep the fruit and sit and wait. She just melts my heart doing this lol.

17. Stryker

Stryker Registered Users

On your carpet in some place that you haven't found. ;)

snowbunny and drjs@5 like this.