Young Brodick finds his love of Retrieving....

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by debsie, Jul 15, 2013.

1. debsie

debsie Registered Users

I am one happy owner today so apologies for shamelss proud post...but Brodick has finally discovered what all the fuss is about retrieving the rabbit skin dummy. I bought a new, slightly larger one with more flappy bits, rubbed a bit of rabbit scent on it (it now lives in a waterproof bag outside the dog room window!), don't know if that was it or if he just needed to really get into it in his own time, but this morning we did a twenty minute session up the hills in rabbit country and he was as keen as Cuillin, he's been getting like this since last week now....

Had them both waiting next to me in nice sits, taking turns. I was standing on top of a small hillock lobbing the Dummy really far away into very long wild grass (had a few very off mark lobs, blooming tricky to get your aim right all the time!), and sending them off one at a time. I'm sure I'm not doing it particularly well but it was so great watching them both this morning. Both off like rockets, Brodick has to have a few joyous bounces on the way but he is just so excited about it now, then tails start to go as they get near the spot and search, dummy picked up, both of them were running straight back to me up a hill dummy in mouth and looking hugely pleased with themselves. Brodick delivers right to my feet, Cuillin about an arms length away and we are working on that, Im not going to worry about to hand for a good while..... The hardest part actually was keeping Brodick from leaping up at me when it was his turn, he was so excited about it all. Changed days indeed! Its almost like he has had had a lighbulb moment, sort of ahhhh this really IS brilliant fun! I think I'll get Cuillin doing some blind retrieves now, she seems to have really nailed the marked ones and is just loving it...

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Young Brodick finds his love of Retrieving....

how wonderful!!!

well done Brodick ;D

3. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That sounds brilliant Debsie. :D

You could start with seek-backs as a sort of step towards blind retrieves, if you are not doing those already. :)

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That's great :D It must be heaps of fun going out with both of them so keen.

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hey Debsie well done you are really getting there ; :D Helen x

6. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Debsie,I can hear your delight in your post,congratulations and well done Broderick,I like that Heidrun but I just wish she would stop talking in riddles....seek-backs......must be something like a sit/stay ;)

7. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=2008.msg16959#msg16959 date=1373902867]
    Debsie,I can hear your delight in your post,congratulations and well done Broderick,I like that Heidrun but I just wish she would stop talking in riddles....seek-backs......must be something like a sit/stay ;)
    [/quote]

Sorry Angela. ::) :)

A memory retrieve is when you put a dummy down, the dog has marked it and you walk away with dog at heel to whatever distance you choose, turn around and send the dog back for the retrieve.
    A seek-back is very similar, only difference is that you will have to drop the dummy without the dog seeing it (usually the hardest part ;)) so in effect it is a blind. At the beginning you would keep the distance very short and also use the direction of the wind to help the dog. Sending the dog into the wind will help massively in scenting the dummy. ;)

8. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

And why not write a proud post :) :) Really lovely to read Deb and sense your happiness too , well done ;D

9. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Thankyou Heidrun....I was teasing because my command level is so basic.....although I can get a sit stay and a down stay for 2 minutes in an empty park so I feel quite advanced now ha ha ha!Chris's family live in N Yorkshire just outside Harrogate and I would love to see some of these competitions,especially now I've read this and other explanations you've given on here.I must look out for dates around my trips back....although I bet it's probably hunting season and the dogs are all too busy to compete.

10. debsie

debsie Registered Users

thanks everyone, he was the same today, playing with his ball quite happily but the minute the Dummy got taken out of the bag he was leaping about, tail high and really excited...good stuff! in fact they had a right tussle over who got to carry the Dummy when we were walking home on leads off the hill this morning. Mine...no its mine...no mine.....got passed back and forwards between them for a good ten minutes!

and thanks Heidrun for advice about what to do next, I'll introduce seek backs to Cuilli now. Have realised that it is much better having a one-to-one when they try new things, so will take her out on her own and get going on this with her...I may well come back with some questions :D!

Its interesting this Dummy thing, whenever we met any of their dog pals who havent seen a Dummy before, the Spaniels and the Labs are instantly drawn to it and want to do stuff with it too, the other dogs just seem sniff at it and ignore it after a bit of a chew at it....

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

That's such great news Debsie! Go Brodick!!!

12. hd

hd Registered Users

What a lovely thing to read. you must be delighted!