Ziva has sore muscles ( I think)

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by marie11, Sep 18, 2015.

1. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

Hi Friends

Hope you'r all well I over did it with Ziva yesterday she was 7 months on Tuesday and we were out with 2 friends and their dogs we walked longer than expected and she was running of and on lead having whale of a time as dogs do now our walk was in country mostly all grass yes their is a path but still all grass so though it be ok to have longer walk that her "35" min as we not doing it daily.Any way as you can imagine she slept pretty much all day yesterday fed her at 11am when I returned home and straight into her crate never seen her till 3 pm out for p and she just wanted to fall asleep again on living room floor so left her until 4 ten put her In crate to allow me to go upstairs. Back up at 6.30 till 7.45pm then took her self to her crate but I noticed then she rather stiff in back legs back up at 10.30pm still quite still but she wouldn't really come out her crate a very quite Ziva indeed ( not our usual bouncy full of mischief Ziva ) still stiff on back legs so could she of used muscles that she never used before maybe just be sore ???? she is on rest till further notice but even today she seems like she is limping I feel I wan tto keep her to garden over weekend and If not herself come Mon I will be on phone to Vet .........good she just be a bit sore after me over doing it yesterday

2. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hi Marie
    Our pups are such a worry for us. I wouldn't be overly concerned over Ziva having a longer walk than normal on one occasion and playing with other dogs at the same time. Juno used to go on one of our trainers dog walks every week from just over 4 months of age. The walks were normally around an hour with lots of play for Juno, with her best friend Jen -who is 4 weeks younger, and running after the "big dogs" to make friends. Juno used to tired for the rest of the day, and usually in to the next day. If Ziva is showing a bit of stiffness it is ​a good idea to keep her quieter for a few days - Juno's restricted exercise for her first limping episode was 15 minutes walk twice a day with no off lead. Try not to worry because you allowed her more than her 35 minutes, when we had our first puppy there was no 5 minute rule, puppies just walked with you for your walk and then slept in their beds and most of them seem to survive without too many problems; and there is very little evidence to support the 5 minute rule. If Ziva is still showing some stiffness over the weekend and it's not easing up, I would see the vet on Monday just for a quick check.

3. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

Thanks Maccie D

I just feel perhaps bit concerned :) :) because she is so quite lol lol the fact that she on grass but out for 1hr 30min from me leaving house to returning but we had few recalls in between and some on lead also but just think she hurt her muscles if there is such a thing. Yes will for sure be keeping her quite rest of weekend she happy dog just in garden so that will be it for few days .

If it no better I will get her to vets first thing Monday am but I think she come back to her cheeky ways just shortly :)
    let you no soon x

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'd be a bit concerned too - I wouldn't really expect a 7 month old dog to be stiff from 1hr 30 mins of exercise. I'd expect them to be a bit snoozy for the rest of the day, but not stiff. I certainly would not expect to see any effects from 1hr 30 minutes of exercise on Tuesday, today - and definitely nothing that looked like stiffness or limping.

Hope it turns out to be nothing to worry about but a vet check might just put your mind at rest.

5. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

Julie Hi I'm just about to go get her up so will see what she like . fingers crossed
    x

6. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

Hi she slow to get up but that's nothing new did take a little longer , she a little stiff on back legs but did come to me a few times when I said just within kitchen which is more than she did earlier
    x
    will let you no ltr

7. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

Ziva a little brighter more herself but certainly not 100 % she moving little better but I still can see she not walking properly will be keeping her quite rest of night and tomorrow

let you all no ltr

thank you all

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

A 7 month old dog, not walking properly 3 days after 1hr 30 minutes of exercise....I'd be off to the vet I think. I really wouldn't expect that. I'd expect a sleepy pup for a day after s/he got more exercise than normal, but that's it.

It really might be nothing, but she might have pulled something, or hurt herself. So I'd say get it checked out. Stop you worrying, at least.

9. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

Hi Julie

Thank you This only happened yesterday :)

It's way I'v written it was out walking with friends and dogs Thursday 17/09/15
    x

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh sorry. :) Not sure where I got Tuesday from....

11. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

Just checked Vets opening hrs they open Sat am 8.30/10.30 so will phone first thing
    She is little better but I can still see she not walking properly
    xx

Not sure either mayb Iv wrote something and didn't realise lol lol

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Let us know - hopefully it's absolutely nothing, but a trip to the vet will stop you worrying. :)

13. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

Went to Vets Linda thinks she has just pulled small muscle and she bit sore and achy cause she was running around of lead with other dogs maybe for bit to long . Her right hip is creaking a little but Linda thinks it not necessary to x-ray she has given her small doze of Metacalm for 3 days and I to let her no on Monday when I'm in weighing her how she is , she thinks its just usual puppy aches and pains when they have over done it gave her full examination and garden for whole week . Then gradual getting back to normal walks. Feel so much better as couldn't of waited till Monday

Clicker training will come in handy this week :) :)

14. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

p.s with being house bound I will need to reduce her feed a little any one by how much ?? She on 100 grm Natures Menu & 280 grm Arden Grange daily would think to reduce dry but any ideas

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

So glad you can have a peaceful weekend!

When Charlie moves from exercise to rest, I cut his food down by 1/3, but as an adult dog he would do a lot more exercise than Ziva. I'd cut down by 1/4 and see how she looks after a couple of days.

16. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Glad it doesn't seem to be anything serious. Hopefully after a few days rest she will be back to her normal bouncy self

17. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Pleased that it doesn't seem to ba anything serious, just a bit of over exercise. I've never reduced Juno's food when she's been on restricted exercise for only a week or so. Come to that didn't reduce it after her surgery, just kept a check on her weight and shape.

18. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

Thanks all will reduce by 1/4 and she due to get weighed Monday as normal been keeping close eye on her weight as last month she getting little to podgy but she is quite small so think I'd rather reduced her when having no exercise as I'm sure she will put on weight
    x