11 year old Lab - advice on food?

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Gadget, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Could you try hand-feeding for a bit to make sure he is eating slowly? If he's hungry (willing to take the food) but still tossing it right back up with a bit of bile, he may be eating too fast?

If his tummy is still bothering him, though, I'd go to a basic well-cooked protein-based diet for 5 or so days to get him back on track: so no raw veggies or fruits (these are much harder to digest). I found my boy's "go-to wonky tummy" meal with trial and error, but it could work for you too: shredded boiled chicken (white meat only, no skin or fat) and steel-cut oatmeal (no instant, no sugar) cooked to death, add lots of water or chicken broth (no salt or sugar) to get the consistency you want. If low appetite is a problem, you can increase the "wow" factor of that rather boring mush by crumbling a bit of freshly cooked liver in. After a couple of good days (eating steadily and stool improving), I'd add slowly add back in the other stuff in his regular diet (fish, oils, veggies, fruits, eggs) and eliminate the oatmeal.

Honestly, if his stool is good and he has a good appetite but is still throwing up everything, I'd (2) go back to the vet to see if he's got something like an obstruction and (2) start hand-feeding very small quantities of very high energy dense foods like cooked chicken and liver every few hours. If he's been throwing up a lot of liquid he may also be dehydrated, which also would be a reason to check in with the vet just for peace of mind. Dehydration can cause all sorts of other weirdness and is usually super easy to "fix", at least temporarily, with subQ fluids. Being low on water could also make him look like he's lost weight.

Hope all goes well and he's back to eating everything and feeling himself very soon!

MF likes this.
  2. Gadget

Gadget Registered Users

3. MF

MF Registered Users

Best of luck. A second vet opinion might be a good next step. Please keep us updated.

Regarding dehydration, to encourage fluid intake, you could give him some chicken soup with no solids (in case solids are what are causing the vomiting). I'd be worried about dehydration.

4. Gadget

Gadget Registered Users

Just returned from the vet - Gadget has had an anti-sickness injection and we have to wait 48hours...if when we start feeding him again over the next 48 hours there is no improvement then it's either an obstruction or some kind of tumor that's growing fast. Holding onto the thought if it's one or the other it will be the former - he shows no signs of being in pain...will keep you posted. In the meantime off to make broth! Thanks again everyone....x

5. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Thinking very good thoughts for you and Gadget!:hug:

6. MF

MF Registered Users

At least you have the beginnings of a plan - it can be somehow reassuring, even if only for the immediate future. I hope it is nothing sinister. I am sure Gadget will love his broth!

7. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Hope Gadget is OK...