Abby and Walker

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Walker, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Walker

Walker Registered Users

My wife and I are "senior citizens". Married 50 years, we've always had dogs... up until about 2 years ago. Bogey and Eddie, 17 and 16, both went to doggie heaven within a few months of each other. At our age, we considered not owning another dog.
    After the hiatus from owning a dog, we finally decided something was needed to motivate conversation in the evenings. "Dog did that." "Dog didn't do this." So....
    Wife wanted a lap dog. Something small. Our last two dogs were Poms. Our back deck has a fairly long flight of steps to get down to the back yard. So, I suggested we get a mid-sized dog since he/she would be better able to negotiate the stairs. Well, we ended up with a 70 pound lap dog!!!!!
    We adopted Abby in January. She is estimated to be about 2 years old. Picked up as a stray in Oklahoma, pregnant, she was put in a kill shelter. A local rescue group brought her up here, let her bear a litter of 9 puppies, weaned them, and then put her up for adoption. She was spayed and we brought her home. No hair from the midsection back. Skin and bones with ribs showing. She really looked ragged.

Abby has been a phenomenal addition to our home!!! We could not have asked for a better dog to live with two "old folks". Abby goes to bed at 9 p.m. each night. She is almost impossible to get up at 7 a.m. If a thunderstorm is brewing or she hears a siren outside, she will wander into our bedroom and sniff a couple times to make sure we are okay. Then, back to her bed. We've never had any issues with house training, etc.

As mentioned in my original post, Abby takes me for a 3 1/2 to 4 mile walk at least 6 days/week. That has been good for both of us. In the evenings, she will crawl up in my wife's recliner... with my wife in it. On our walks, Abby has done very well. She loose leads and we get along except... when she spies a squirrel. She doesn't mind people, other dogs, cars, etc. We have squirrels who reside in the trees in our backyard. They constantly agitate her by getting just higher than she can reach and sit there "chirping" at her. So, on our walks... she thinks she can seek revenge.

Sorry about the length of the post. Just really pleased with Abby, our Black Lab.

2. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Love this post! So happy that Abby has found a home with you.

Welcome to the forum from me and my choccy girl Ella (13 months) from Melbourne, Australia

Walker likes this.
  3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Was lovely to read your post :) So glad that the three of you have become one happy family.

Totally understand that thing about having to get another dog so you have something to talk about ;) My hubby and I often talk 'through' the dog...."Obi, tell Daddy that someone has left a big mess of crumbs on the kitchen bench again...".

4. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Enjoy life with Abby! She sounds great and has obviously found a lovely home.

5. samandmole

samandmole Registered Users

What a lovely story :)
    We rescued a dog Daze when we were living in CA and brought her back to Enfland with us. She lived to 16 and was a truly amazing dog. There's just something about a rescue, it's a special bond. She sounds lovely! So glad you are enjoying her. Look forward to some pictures!
    Sam and Mole

6. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Lovely post to read - wonderful that you and Abbey are making each other so happy. The squirrel vendetta amused me as my dog has similar feelings about seagulls that dare perch on our house.

7. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Wonderful post, what a lovely dog Abbey is.
    Welcome to the forum Walker from Fred, Annie my two black labs and me.
    Hope to hear more about Abbey.

8. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Welcome to the Forum,what a lovely post,I'm so glad Abby settled in so well and has become such a loved member of the family x

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Welcome to you, your wife and Abby from Hattie 8 years and our rescue boy Charlie 5 years. Your story has warmed my heart, I am so happy you found Abby to join you, she sounds perfect. If Squirrels were my only problem I'd be laughing :D Helen x

10. Walker

Walker Registered Users

We cannot believe how lucky/blessed we were with letting Abby become part of the family. We had visits from a number of candidates in our home. Something about Abby just clicked. She has been truly remarkable fitting in with use "old folk".

Newbie Lab Owner and charlie like this.
  11. Walker

Walker Registered Users

Thanks to all for you kind welcoming!!! I don't post much, but will be lurking... attempting to learn from the rest of you.

12. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and my two.:)

Abby sounds lovely.

13. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

How lovely! She sounds perfect. A very warm welcome to the forum :)

14. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Hi and welcome from our little pack....Benson, Casper and Bramble. Sounds like Abby has really found her paws with you both :)

15. Bruer

Bruer Registered Users

Welcome to the forum from Baxter and me :hi:

16. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and Dexter, loved reading your post and hearing about your previous dogs and your lovely new lease of life and conversation Abbey. She sounds a real treasure :chuckle:

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

A very warm welcome from me and my black girl Lilly.
    Abby sounds just perfect.
    A good match all round.
    jac x

18. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds as if you and your wife and Abby have rescued each other. An ideal partnership.

19. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

A warm welcome, a lovely story, including those pesky squirrels!

20. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and Harley
    Abby sounds like she is the perfect for your family. It takes someone special to take a rescue and give them a home. I look forward to hearing more about the lovely girl.
    P.S. Harley can't resist chasing squirrels either