1. The wonderful world of puppies starts here
  2. Find answers to your puppy questions below
  3. Click here for more information

Attention new puppy owners! Let your puppy off the lead.

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by editor, Apr 5, 2013.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

Read this post I just made in another thread: Anxious on lead meetings
    It's about anxiety rather than excitement, but the exact same game can be used to great effect.

2. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Ha ha I was just thinking the same thing today - imagine walking down the street with a dog who just strolls past other people without a second glance! I know that it'll take time, perseverance, and patience to get to that point...or close to it. I've just recently started "look at that" after Fiona @snowbunny recommended it. The only problem I'm having is remembering to click when she spots THE PEOPLE, I'm a little slow in my reactions lol.

3. Beanwood

Beanwood Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh yes, the timing is quite challenging! I was hopeless when learning this technique with Casper. It does get easier, and then more fun as you start to relax and and your dog starts to learn this amazing new game. Casper has a funny habit of glancing at me...looking at the trigger...then if I haven't clicked in time I get what i can only describe as a hard stare! :) I am sure this technique has contributed hugely to his much calmer and less reactive behaviour. Although when it comes to deer I could through a whole cooked chicken at him and he would still be off! sigh....

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

I'm trying to recall, Kate, if there are any deer parks in your area. When I used to live in the South East, we had the luxury of the Royal Parks, with their abundance of deer. They would have been perfect training grounds for deer-obsessed dog, as you can be proactive about them being there, rather than reactive. Maybe a few day trips to Richmond Park are in order? :D

5. Deejay50

Deejay50 Registered Users

Ah, now that all brings back memories of the legendery Fenton, every dog walker's worst nightmare

6. DebzC

DebzC Registered Users

This thread was the best find a few weeks ago and I encourage everybody to do it! From the first walk Libby was off the lead apart from the first and last little bit along our road. She wants us near so will wait for us or catch up. I also use a whistle and she comes back every single time which was perfect yesterday when the postvan came down a track. Obviously this might change in the next weeks as she becomes more confident about wandering off but I'm so glad I read this advice.

Xena Dog Princess, Joy and snowbunny like this.
  7. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

The secret is to be unpredictable - hide, change direction, go down unexpected paths. That way they have to keep an eye on you and stay close.

It works with older pups too.

Bruce (11 months) had lost all recall due to his puppy walker constantly calling him to keep him close. It had the opposite effect.

I took him to a secure field at first, which has lots of paths and trees. So I could be confident I wouldn't lose him. Then I deliberately 'lost' him by hiding, turning tail and veering off on another path when he was striding forward. He soon started staying closer.

Now I can walk him anywhere and he keeps a 'proper' distance (20 yards or so).

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  8. DebzC

DebzC Registered Users

Ah yes, I remember us doing this with Ria, our lab when I was a teenager. She never ever ran off again!