beginner 1 class- venting

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Kelsey&Axel, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Well last night was the first class for Beginner 1. I was very excited to see all the people who had signed up from puppy class, but there were only 3 of us! Oh well. There were a lot of new dogs, quite a few GSD's that had reactive behaviour to other dogs.

Just need to vent a bit about this I guess because it's bugging me. Axel is still intact and will be until at least 18 months old if not for ever. During the class the teacher wanted to use him as an example, (same teacher as puppy class) as she came up to get him she commented on how massive he has gotten and asked why he isn't neutered. Which then I explained it was recommended by our vet to wait and then she cut me off and shook her head and said that it is all nonsense and we should get him fixed and how unfortunately because of his age now that he already knows how to be a male. This irked me.... we still have some humping issues from time to time with new dogs when he is over excited but otherwise he's pretty good.

Example. We just tried him in a new day care this week, and I warned them about his humping. Later that day I picked him up and I was told yes he was a bit 'humpy' but only at the beginning and it was obvious it was just excitement. So day two at day care, I was told there was no humping.

So that issue aside, he is very submissive with other dogs when he meets them off leash, or at a dog park. He often lies down on his back for dogs. Or drops HIS toy when another dog comes growling up to him for his toy.

So I'm a bit annoyed by this. What does she mean he knows how to be a male as if it was such a terrible thing?

He was the perfect student last night. Even when she used him as an example. He doesn't jump up on people. Or mouth people. He's very sweet and sat and waited each time she gave him a command. During the class he lied down at my side and watched the class go by as other dogs were barking and whining and some having some reactive behaviours.

Then! I find out it's her female German Shephered beside me who is also axels age (almost 9 months) and the teacher says 'just so you are aware my female is not spayed, she is not in heat but she still may give off scents so if Axel smells it you'll just have to move further away' which what ever, that's fine. Just ironic how I was given flak about not neutering my male while her female is not spayed. In which case I really don't care if she is spayed or not it's just how she reacted to Axel being intact like it was a horrid decision.

Sorry this turned into a book, I just needed to vent.

MF likes this.
  2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Vent away we've all Been there. You're doing what's best for you pup he sounds lovely. She sounds rude and a bit behind the times and unwilling to listen

Bruer, Kelsey&Axel and Pilatelover like this.
  3. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

She means once they have learned some behaviours they may not stop with neutering. Typically such behaviours might be mounting and/or marking but many dogs neutered before puberty do these, especially mounting aka humping which even the girls may do.

Other than this one bit of knowledge she appear to have I hope your instructer is better at whatever she is teaching than she is about dog realtions.

A bitch not in season is unlikely to excite an intact male. A few weird males I know, but not most.

Where did you find this instructor/class? I like to recommend trainers listed with the Canadian Association of Professional Pet Dog Trainers. It's not a guarantee such a trainer will be up on dog behaviour but it is more likely they will be and be a good trainer since they have to take classes and keep up to join and maintain membership. They have a section on their website, Find a Trainer:

https://www.cappdt.ca/trainers

After going both ways myself I would now make every effort to take competitive obedience classes as opposed to pet manners type classes. I just found a higher level of knowledge in the trainers.

Kelsey&Axel and MF like this.
  4. MF

MF Registered Users

So annoying when the instructor is so unsupportive. You need to stick with what you know is right for yourself and your boy. I spent 1.5 years at a dog school where I felt so insecure, but it took me all that time to see the light and move to a school that was right for me and my boy. And interestingly, I see that one of the instructors who was at the original school has now started her own school using positive-only training, whereas at the original school I was not happy with how she forced Snowie to sit (yanked him up by the head halter -- horrid!!) when he just wanted to lie down (poor puppy was tired). She also told me to neuter him at 7 months (I wonder what her ideas are now). I got SO much flak from people telling me to neuter my boy. My best was when I contacted a well-known behaviourist to help with Snowie's barking at me when I was sitting relaxing at a café (he could not lie down and do nothing). Her immediate response: he must be neutered, he is very frustrated. I didn't pursue her services. About a year or two later I met her in our local park where she was working with a dog (she didn't know I was the person who'd called her). She hadn't seen Snowie's rear-end but commented: what a lovely boy (cos he was so relaxed and friendly to her problem dog).

So stay true to yourself. And come here to vent!

Kelsey&Axel, Naya and Karen like this.
  5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Although I personally have no problem with the idea of desexing I think it's wrong of your instructor to pressure you to have it done. And in front of the class too. I don't think it's any of their business.

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Haha, how ironic, to have a go at you for not neutering your dog, while hers is intact too! Too ridiculous. Anyway, you must have been so proud of him - good boy Axel!!

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  7. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

I have nothing helpful to offer other than to say that your trainer sounds like a dope. I've read time and again on here about trainers embarrassing owners, it's awful. Plus she's a hypocrite! I'm so happy for you that Axel was a star :)

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  8. SwampDonkey

Its all about the balance of power with some people. I've been to some brilliant trainers over the years and never felt vunerable or upset. Some people like being the expert a bit too much unfortunately.

Kelsey&Axel and Jes72 like this.
  9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Good boy Axel.
    Keep doing what you are doing Kelsey.
    Sounds anlittle like the trainers was hoping Axel would react to her bitch, just to prove her point.
    Are you sticking with her?

Kelsey&Axel, MF and SwampDonkey like this.
  10. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

Grrrr, I'm not surprised you needed to let off steam. Well done Axel for being so good and well done you for not losing your rag and telling the trainer what you thought of her comments :mad:

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  11. Joy

Joy Registered Users

What a stupid comment by your trainer when Axel was behaving so well. I kept my last dog entire and he very rarely tried to hump.

Kelsey&Axel and MF like this.
  12. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I think I live my doggy life in a little bubble of this forum, the right FB groups and occasional positive classes. Everyone is very supportive and helps you find your path. But as soon as I step foot out of this happy bubble, there's the rest of the world, with their, often misguided, opinions that just have to be given. Not suggested, but almost demanded.

It's not that within this bubble we all do things the same way. Some have their dogs neutered, some keep them entire. Some people have strong views that their way is the best way. But, you know what? We (usually!) manage to respect everyone's decisions as their own, even whilst explaining why we have made the choice we have.

Some people could learn a thing or two from the bubble :)

Trufflepup, Cath, Kelsey&Axel and 5 others like this.
  13. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I'm enjoying life inside the bubble :D

Kelsey&Axel, drjs@5, Granca and 2 others like this.
  14. SwampDonkey

stay in its dangerous out there :eek:

Trufflepup and Kelsey&Axel like this.
  15. SwampDonkey

In real life I am a 30 stones mud wrestler called Bernard

16. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Silly woman - and well done Axel xx

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  17. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

H is still intact at 4 years and my skin has grown thicker and thicker to comments about having him done.

I've had some really nasty experiences and been blatently bullied by our Agility trainer about it.

Hold your repost up high, expert Vetanary advice is that he will not be done until at least 18 months!

Kelsey&Axel, SwampDonkey and MF like this.
  18. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Aside from the pressure to neuter which is entirely inappropriate I'm finding it slightly strange that your instructor sounds like she's giving your dog cues? Or have I misinterpreted your post?

My personal view is, with the very occasional demo, trainers shouldn't handle clients dogs. They should be teaching clients how to train and handle their dogs. She sounds like she could do with some retraining herself!

And well done Axel :)

snowbunny, Kelsey&Axel and Karen like this.
  19. PawPrints

PawPrints Registered Users

Axel is such a terrific pup and you are doing what is best for him. You know your dog and are following your instincts and guidance from your vet. It is rude when others try to tell you what they think is the best for your dog when they don't even know them.

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  20. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Yes I quite agree with above, a good trainer should have respect for you and work with you and help you achieve what you want for your dog -- it's your lives after all.

Kelsey&Axel likes this.