Bravecto

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Dexter, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi there,

Based on the Bravecto discussion that started on MF's thread with regards to Snowie's eye injury I've pulled up this old thread from Karen where a lot of experiences are shared.

http://thelabradorforum.com/threads/bravecto-tablets-against-ticks.6474/

Dexter was prescribed Bravecto in the UK during the Summer and he had a very odd episode .....alarming temperature that was difficult to get under control,he was wobbly on his legs and looked like he was losing consciousness ,later his teeth started almost 'chattering' We did a mad dash to the vets.His bloods showed that his liver enzymes were elevated ,not alarmingly but definitely at the far end of the normal scale.This could have been explained by the fact he had done an International Flight only 48 hours before and the blood readings could have indicated the stress his body had experienced due to the travel ....but he was absolutely fine when we flew him back.So,whilst this isn't based on anything other than anecdotal personal experience I've chosen never to use it again.The Vet was convinced enough by the symptoms she saw to put a report into the company that produces it ...apparently that is the procedure if an animal has had a reaction following the administration of a medicine.I know that other Forum Members have used it and been very happy with the protection it has offered and their dogs have experienced no ill effects from it.

2. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

Thank you for this thread @Dexter and the link to the previous thread.

We do have a tick problem in this area. I don't use anything that is toxic to cats as my cats always slept with my previous labs (although they haven't awarded Ripple this honour yet).

I had been using Frontline spot-on but our vet recommended I switch to Bravecto about five months ago. Ripple has had two treatments, no trouble taking it and no ill effects. However on a thread recently it was suggested that reactions to Bravecto tended to happen with the second or third dose, implying that it was cumulative in the body.
    Was this Dexters first dose of Bravecto that affected him?

The treatment for Ripple is given as part of a plan at our vets where I make a monthly payment which covers all worming and flea/tick treatments, twice yearly health checks and discounts on all other treatments. Therefore I will routinely be given Bravecto every three months.

As far as I can see if I continued with Bravecto it would be better to give it twice a year during the worst of the tick season and not the rest of the year, this means I am regretting giving Ripple Bravecto at the beginning of December as he wouldn't really have needed it then.

Having had two previous labs that died at relatively early ages of eight and nine (not tick treatment or tick related), I am very concerned about doing anything that could affect Ripples health in anyway, so I still remain unsure about Bravecto.
    I look forward to discussion with other members.

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I just wanted to add to this - I don't use Bravecto because my vet won't prescribe it - but I wanted to say that I think any medications can cause undesirable side effects in some dogs.

This was the case, I believe, with Charlie and Advocate. He had a few episodes of vomiting and being ill after I used it, and so I switched to Milbemax and Advantix only when necessary. Betsy had Advocate as a puppy though, because she was too young for anything else that would protect her from lungworm, and she was absolutely fine.

So, while sharing experiences is really valuable, I don't think anyone should jump to the conclusion that a certain drug should be avoided and definitely not that worming or tick protection should be avoided. It's about the individual dog, what suits them, and the risks in the area you live and the best person to advise is a vet you trust.

Charlie has also had bad reactions to Metacam and Rimadyl but there is no way that this means any other dog should not be given these extremely useful anti-inflammatories.

Rosie and Naya like this.
  4. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

Thank you @JulieT , I also had a previous dog react badly to medication, although I think he was probably already too ill for us to be sure it was this. Unfortunately he went on to die two days later and I understand the vet made a report to pharmaceutical company.
    So I'm sure you can understand why I can get paranoid about any suspected side effects associated with medication.

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yes, of course.

But it can happen with any medication - and next up this thread will contain people saying 'don't give your dogs unnecessary drugs!'. So we also have to think about the risks we run if we don't use preventative medicines.

6. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I think what is important is that if you think your dog has reacted to any medications, to let the vet know (especially with new medications) this then gets reported. If there is a signal for changes in blood chemistry..eg; changes in liver enzymes or kidneys etc, from a significant number of dogs, this then triggers further investigation or a revision of the product data sheet to incorporate any special precautions.

Details on Bravecto can be found here:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/publications/-454352/bravecto-chewable-tablets-for-dogs

Dexter and Joy like this.
  7. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I promise I won't say it :p

8. Dexter

Yes it was the first dose he had taken

9. Dexter

Stacia ,you ALWAYS say it xxxxxx

JulieT likes this.
  10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Go on say it Stacia :D xxxx

Dexter likes this.
  11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think she already has....:D:D:D

charlie likes this.
  12. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

W
    Wouldn't dare :shake:

Dexter and charlie like this.
  13. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

That's why I decided not to say it again, falls on deaf ears anyway :sheeproll:xx

Dexter and charlie like this.
  14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh god, I'm already worrying about the summer and the tick situation... I don't want to give Poppy Bravecto any more, too afraid it might bring on a seizure. I think we'll have to go the seresto collar route - although some people say even they can have side effects. We HAVE to have tick protection here; the woods are crawling in the spring and summer, and they carry meningitis and lyme disease.

Does anyone know if it's ok to take the Seresto collars off whenever the dog swims?

15. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

"Hazard statement Precautionary statements Warning H410 Very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects" From: http://www.advantagepetcare.com.au/...t/MSDS/Seresto collar SDS A18234-01 Jan16.pdf

However I believe this applies to the ingredients used and not the collar itself. The collars are supposed to be sealed. ON the Seresto site it says,

"“Do I need to remove the collar if my pet gets wet?”
    A: No, the Seresto® collar itself is water resistant. Also, because the active ingredients are stored in and distributed through a layer of oil on the pet’s skin, being wet won’t wash them away." FRom: http://www.seresto.com/en/faq/#do-i-need-to-remove-the-collar

Which doesn't exactly answer your question I know. Maybe you could email them and ask?

Karen likes this.
  16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

The seresto collar works like a spot on - in that imidacloprid and flumethrin are absorbed into the skin and spread around the dog in the oils produced by the skin. The difference is that the sersto collar is a 'slow release'. So there isn't any reason that you can't remove it for the dog to swim, only during that time the dog won't be receiving the dose of drug but it says on the web site temporary removal of the collar isn't problematic.

17. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Thank you both. But if the chemical components are in the oil produced by the skin, does that then mean that these oils might be washed off during swimming, causing toxic damage to aquatic life?

Stacia likes this.
  18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

No, they are in the subcutaneous fat layer of the skin and absorbed into the organ of the skin and distributed by the skin's oil production. They can't be washed off once absorbed. Spot ons can be washed off for hours after they are applied, but that's all.

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Sorry, slightly misunderstood your question. Well, yes, in very tiny amounts they can be washed off in the oil of the skin that is present at the point of time the dog goes in the water. But this is not a danger to aquatic life. The danger is hours after applying the product, when it is present in massive amounts before absorption.

20. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Are you talking about spot-on products here? Not the collars?