Can anyone help please ?

Discussion in 'Labrador Rescue' started by kateincornwall, Oct 29, 2013.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I`ve had a call from Sams breeder . Sams Mum had pups last January ( same Dad as Sam too , so full siblings ) . All the pups were sold quickly but she has had a sad call from one owner, his circumstances have changed and so Jake is now and is looking for a good loving home only for this 10 month old black male pup . The owner is distraught and is only wanting the best for the poor lad , at least the breeder is trying to help , the dog is in Devon if anyone is interested , I would have him myself if our situation was better but my husband isnt in the best health at the moment .

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Can anyone help please ?

I wish :(

I hope someone can help Kate, if he's anything like Sam he will be a wonderful dog.

3. kateincornwall

ironically Barbara , this is the very pup I thought long and hard about having, he is the image of Sam and from lovely lineage , but with Millie here now , I dont want to upset the apple cart, so to speak . Paul has already said that if I want him , I can have him, but must lead head rule heart ::)

4. bbrown

oh crumbs what a dilemma for you :-\

I'm with you though it is sooooooooo tempting but the timing is just not right and Ben would have a small fit if I turned up with another dog. Spring is the earliest I can even contemplate it and it will be extremely Lizzie dependant followed by my ability to fit it in with the rest of work and life.

Hopefully he will be snapped up and we can stop torturing ourselves :)

ps Hope Paul is feeling a bit better x

5. kateincornwall

Reading between the lines , I think this pup will benefit from some further training , the owner hasnt done an awful lot with him which is a shame , given his lineage . His nature is lovely, he knows sit/stay and has a " reasonable recall " which is a decent building block , I really think he will make a smashing retriever, is sociable with other dogs, children and adults . I do so wish Paul hadnt said I could have him ::)

6. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Do I detect a 'weakening' of resolve... :D

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=kateincornwall link=topic=3082.msg32674#msg32674 date=1383052947]
    I do so wish Paul hadnt said I could have him ::)
    [/quote]

What's the difference between 2 dogs and 3? Hardly anything, just an extra bed and bowl, really. :) Same walks, same routine, same letting out and in ..... :) :) :)

I wish my OH was as good as yours....I've a long campaign ahead of me before I get dog #2.. :(

8. kateincornwall

;D ;D Pippa , I am a very strong lady , except where dogs are concerned :)

Oh heavens Julie, dont you add to it please ;D ;D

But seriously , I have worked really hard with Sam and even harder with Millie in order to own ( usually ) well behaved dogs , I would be terrified of compromising this so afraid I will have to pass on Jake , well thats the plan ::)

9. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

KATE.....would i cope with 2 10 month old labs ?....... i want him,.....why oh why did you post that,
    would love him but some how i think the timing is not right,....got to do a lot of training with jasper so why not train 2

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Gosh Lynne! I wouldn't dare take the risk of upsetting the delicate balance, you would be terribly brave to take on another I just couldn't see it working for me and Lilly is 3 now.
    As tempting as these things always are I think its always a risk. A friend of mine fosters labs and she has seen such sad cases of failed re-homings it just breaks my heart.......
    I think you would have to be very sure of yourself in this situation.
    I hope it works out Kate.

11. kateincornwall

Lynne, I agree with Jacqui and I think you know, as you have said , that it would be too much for you , they would egg one another on for sure and you would end up risking the loss of all the hard work you have put in with Jasper , step away from this section ;)

12. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

kate it was only a thought,.......jasper as a long way to go yet,...i think he would be jealous :)
    there is 10 years in my children , so come on lynne bring yourself back down to earth :)
    keep us updated kate, i am sure he will find a new home soon :)

13. tartanmouse

tartanmouse Registered Users

I can definitely vouch for the fact that the number of dogs does not affect the workload involved. But it can most definitely change the balance in the household. Where 2 dogs used to play together, it changes that relationship when another enters the pack, it's bound to I suppose. I would not change a thing about this lot, but we've been sooo lucky that everything has worked out for the better with every new addition.

I do hope he's settled in a new home soon.

14. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=kateincornwall] if I want him , I can have him, but must lead head rule heart ::)
    [/quote]

I think that heads are over-rated....

15. kateincornwall

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=3082.msg32774#msg32774 date=1383079481]
    [quote author=kateincornwall] if I want him , I can have him, but must lead head rule heart ::)
    [/quote]

I think that heads are over-rated....

[/quote]

;D ;D After the afternoon I`ve had , no way am I adding to the gang ::) ::)

16. kateincornwall

Just had a message from the breeder to say that she has found a lovely home for Jake , on Dartmoor near to where she lives , I am so very pleased and relieved as I was beginning to think down the lines of " could I cope with three dogs " :) :)

17. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Really pleased to hear that Kate! I was sure he'd find a good home.

18. bbrown

that's wonderful news for him and for you ;D

such a lovely dog no wonder he was snapped up and how great that the breeder was able to help and know her pup is going to the right place, what a responsible lady :)

19. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Very good news :)

20. David

David Registered Users

Good news indeed. Whenever I read a post like this I'm tempted, but the reality is that one dog is enough really.