crates

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Stephanie Wolfinger, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Stephanie Wolfinger

Stephanie Wolfinger Registered Users

Hi! Im new to this so I hope i am doing this correctly! I am getting my beautiful Roxy english chocolate lab home this weekend. I had 2 beautiful labs before and they lived very long lives 15 years to be exact. Miss them dearly. But I forget some stuff,. I have a wire crate for the bedroom to train at night but I need one to put her in in the car while i drive back and forth to work because she will be going to work with me. I just need one for the car until she is old enough to sit with a harness and seat belt. I was wondering if a soft crate would be ok? Has anyone ever used one before? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Have a wonderful day!!

2. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I have a very small car (Hyundai i10) so I used a harness and seatbelt attachment from the start. Molly hated the car to start with but I don't think that was anything to do with the harness - in less than a month of having her I was able to take her on a 4 hour trip to visit relatives travelling like that and she was fine.

3. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

I also have a Hyundai i10 which doesn't lend itself to large crates. I considered a fabric crate for my lab pup but worried she would chew through it. I bought a small crate with a sloping roof which fitted in my car with the back seats down. she wasn't overkeen but didn't fuss about it beyond a few mins.
    Within a few weeks I progressed to a harness with a seat belt attachment and now I just use a seat belt attachment. She is happiest with the last because it's the least restrictive but contains her just fine. She is 14 weeks now so she probably started using the latter about two weeks ago, doesn't take long for theses things to progress. The crate was only ever going to be a short-term option but necessary in the early weeks.