Crating during the day?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Olivia__, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Olivia__

Olivia__ Registered Users

Nelly has been sleeping really well during the night in her crate but I don't think she likes going in and would wine if I put her there during he day for whatever reason. Should I put her in there for short periods of time whilst I'm around the house or not? Will it create more problems or will it be worth it her getting used to it?

2. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

You will need to get her used to the crate during the day - I've found Bailey to be very literal in things - he had no issues with going in his crate at night but protested like mad during the day. We had the crate up in the main room with us and put treats in there, toys, made it part of a game or two every so often (hiding treats in his blanket in there) fed him in there and just made it a nice place to go in and out of - not closing the door. Then closing the door for short periods of time, slowly increasing it each time - never long enough that he cried. We did decrate him once he was house trained as he settles nicely on the settee or when we go out he settles onto our bed for the duration. We put water and food on the upstairs landing and he is more than happy up there - in fact if the downstairs door is open he quite often takes himself off there when we are home too - not for long if I'm cooking tho!

3. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

You do need to get things done and you can't watch her every nano second. However we used the crate with the door open in our gated kitchen or for another Lab, in a sturdy pen. They can wreck your kitchen, ours didn't, but lots do. Pen might be better.

LOL, my sister has a pine cannon ball kitchen table with no balls. ;)

Olivia__ likes this.
  4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I had it the opposite way - Harley would go into her crate when I went to work, but refused at nighttime. I did give in in terms of nights (she sleeps on our bed), but stuck with crating when I was at work, but when I was home I never used the crate.