Curious...what breed mix/age do you think this pup is?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Emily_BabbelHund, Dec 5, 2016.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Really? I couldn't find anything to support this - I looked because I was surprised. Do you have any sources? I did find, however, this link, which states (albeit without sources) that Labs, among others, are banned in places in the US, too. I'm sure it's part of the "By Description" definition.

2. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

That link is pretty fascinating. Very propaganda-ish and (I suspect) not too based in truth. Pugs have been banned somewhere? I mean, PUGS. Really. I imagine someone just took a "no dogs allowed" legislation to the extreme and made a list of all dogs that exist, LOL.

Ah well. I tortured myself today by visiting an acquaintance with a gorgeous Rottie girl. She is having a litter of pups next week so was big and squishy and cuddly. She smelled like Brogan. Tough evening in the old dog-free homestead tonight. :(

3. snowbunny

I agree, it did sound very much like that. But I remember reading the definition of dangerous dogs for somewhere like Spain (may not have been Spain, but somewhere similar), and thinking that Labs could actually fall under the description they gave!

4. snowbunny

No possibility of one of those pups?

5. Teller's mom

Teller's mom Registered Users

@snowbunny - I read it somewhere and then found it on here. I tried to look up the actual 2002 ruling but I had no luck without knowing what it was called officially. I did find some things but they were not in English.

http://www.alldog.eu/law/list-of-banned-dogs-by-countries/

I don't know if it's accurate either but I can tell you that the listing for the US is accurate. 'Dangerous' breeds here are regulated by state and insurance, as I am sure they are other places in the world (well not by state, but you know). Note, the dogs being on the list as 'dangerous' does not necessarily mean they are banned. I think in certain places, like Ukraine, it just means the aforementioned breeds must always be leashed and perhaps muzzled. But the leash thing isn't really a restriction, at least in my eyes, because the states are very strict on leash laws.

snowbunny likes this.
  6. Teller's mom

Aww, that's always hard. Pups are soo cute! You could always get one of the pups and pull out some of that black dye certain dog-show people use to 'enhance' pigment. Dust it on the pup's tan points and voila! it's a 'lab'. If some snooty airport employee stops you, feign innocence and say loudly in an American accent, "But my dog is one of those blockheaded 'English' labs!" :rolleyes: By the way, I read an article about people actually dyeing show dogs and their noses/muzzles when they fade?

http://www.bestinshowdaily.com/faking-it-artificial-enhancement-in-show-dogs/

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  7. snowbunny

Hah, thanks! @Lisa, you're screwed with Simba being a mix of two dangerous dogs! :rofl:

Lisa likes this.
  8. Teller's mom

That's no joking matter. Pugs are vicious. As I type this I am thinking of a family friend's pug whose eyes look in opposite directions, lol. I mean they could be very dangerous if you were a hamburger or some sort of food.

9. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Oh yeah, he's a monster. Totally. :facepalm:

drjs@5 and snowbunny like this.
  10. Emily_BabbelHund

I was at a show in Spain earlier in the year and there was a guy using a felt tip marker to fill in missing pigment on his dog's lips. Right there in the open (though away from the Staff ring). Then he proceeded to slop some of the temporary hair color on to the dog's fur! I mean, I know that people do that in dog shows... but have some pride, man... go into the bathroom and do it or something!

11. Emily_BabbelHund

Could have done when I met the female last summer. She still had space on her waiting list then. Now the pups are all reserved, which is just as it should be for a responsible breeder. Although the Rottie mama's human kept saying maybe they'd end up up with too many females and there'd be one for me if I wanted. Very nice lady, nice dog.

It was a good visit despite it being bittersweet. The lady is actually a dog trainer and has the one Rottie and three Australian cattle dogs, so I was curious to talk to her about the difference in learning styles between Rotties and other breeds (particularly Labs of course), since she is so knowledgeable.

Essentially she told me that she felt for my circumstances a Labrador would be easier but that she wouldn't want to be in my circumstances as she wouldn't want to have to make that decision. She herself had tried to go "Rottie-free" after her last one passed away and she only made it six months before getting her current girl, Biene ("Bee" in German, very cute). She loves her Aussies but there was a hole in the house without a Rottie that the Aussies simply didn't fill.

12. knees78

knees78 Registered Users

Totally inexperienced guess here but I too think she looks staffie x lab. Total beaut! X