First Puppy!

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by LauraBeaux, Oct 21, 2015.

1. LauraBeaux

LauraBeaux Registered Users

I have been searching half-heartedly for a little fur ball for almost 2 years. I was researching breeders, but couldn't come to terms with spending over $500 on a puppy, when there were so many dogs who needed homes in shelters. I spent a day driving to different shelters all over the Tampa area when I arrived at the Humane society. I found this little 2.5 month old skinny black lab that had just been transferred over from a kill shelter. It was meant to be!!! His papers say he's a Lab/mix, but he looks like he only has lab in him... I've had him for all of 5 days, and it's been awesome! He's had a few accidents in the house, but each day they have gotten to be fewer. He just wants to please, and sleep! I haven't come up with a name I really like yet... is this normal?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hi Laura ad welcome to the forum from me and my two, Willow and Shadow. We need to see pictures of your little bundle! You need to use a site like Flickr, Photobucket or Imgur to host the photo and then paste the BBCode (which looks like [ IMG]...[/IMG]) into your post here.

There's no problem spending time coming up with a name. Maybe someone on here will inspire you :)

Do you have any idea of his history?

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    Sounds like you are in love :)
    Would love to see a photo, hope you can manage one.
    Jac and Lilly - 5 and a half, from Scotland

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and 2 year old fox red girl, Harley

We played with names for 2 weeks before deciding. We only decided the day before we collected her.
    Are you looking for suggestions on names?
    Toilet training will take several weeks so do try and be patient. It is worth taking him out after waking up, after playing, after eating as he is more likely to go at these times. Do you reward him every time he goes for a wee/poo outside?

5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hi and welcome from me and Juno, my 16 month old chocolate girl. Look forward to seeing some photos. I had chosen Juno's name before she was born but then I had around 10 months to decide on a name while I waited for a litter with my selected breeder. What sort of names do you like, or hate?

6. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Hi and welcome to the forum Laura from Fred and me. Fred is a 18mth old black lab. You will soon think of a name you like. Have you any photos of him?

7. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi, and welcome from Holly and me in Wales.

OH and I spent months talking about possible names while we looked for puppies. We finally settled on Holly on our way to pick her up. We called her Holly because she was our Christmas present to ourselves, and because her puppy teeth were as prickly as holly leaves!

8. snowbunny

Willow was named after a Willow tree that she played under at the breeder's. Whenever there was one puppy missing, it would be her, and she was always under that tree! Shadow was just a name we liked - both my husband and I had looked after white (sorry, horsey people, "grey") horses in previous lives and so it seemed to fit a pale yellow. Seeing as he follows us round like a shadow, it's actually quite fitting. Although, I'd like a pound for every time someone says, "surely the black one should be Shadow" :rolleyes:

A name will come, don't worry :)

9. niclibrarylady

niclibrarylady Registered Users

Hello and welcome. You will find this site a god send.
    A name will come to you. when we had our first girl it took me ages, I just kept looking at her. We named her Tilly Not sure why , but it suited her. the sole that she was. You will find the perfect name just sit tight.

10. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Hi from me and 6month choccy girl Ella. When we picked Ella's name we decided we wanted a human name for her (no idea why, just did) and we wanted it to be two syllables as it seemed easier to yell across the park! We googled girls names and just read through a list quickly saying no/maybe until we had four names that we didn't mind. We wrote them on a piece of paper and stuck it on the fridge. Over the week we walked past and looked at the list, and luckily we both ended up picking Ella.

Can't wait to see some photos of your little man. It's such a lovely thing you have done ☺

11. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

My one tip would be to try out the names. Try calling it at the top of your voice or in the pitch black at night - situations you will most likely meet. If you're happy with name,go for it

12. snowbunny

And if you need inspiration, we're very good. ;)

I like "Taxi" (great fun to shout). A friend of mine used to have a Rottie called Braindead. Great name.

OK, maybe some of us aren't so good with the suggestions.... ;)

13. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Hahaha! snowbunny

Great idea to try out names first...:)

We fostered a lovely dog called Fluffy...luckily she had great recall...:)

14. snowbunny

Here is a list of names I have had for animals throughout my life:

Timothy (Guinea Pig)
    Fluff (very unfluffy cat)
    Mickey (cat)
    Squeak (Hamster)
    Seymour (Female hamster that had golden "glasses" - so she could "see more"...)
    Pickles (Hamster)
    Joey (Hamster)
    Maurice (Hamster)
    Clio (Cat)
    Sam (GSD/BC mix)
    Meg (Australian Cattle Dog)
    Jemma (Bitsa dog)
    Gariballdi (Cat)
    Bakewell (Cat - she was a real tart...)
    Sprocket (Cat)
    O'Nine (Cat with exceptionally long tail - "cat o' nine tails")
    Ewok (Cat)
    Rutherford (Rabbit)
    Fidget (Ferret)
    Twitch (Ferret)
    Willow (Black Lab)
    Shadow (Yellow Lab)

I think that's it!

15. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

rosemarys right I know someone one named his dog shaggy .......... he really wishes he hadn't he's had some funny offers:eek:

16. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Clint could be really bad too

17. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I'm a big Sherlock Holmes fan and always wanted to call a dog Mycroft...

18. Karen

Karen Registered Users

But my real advice is to pick a name that you can make a good song to. Because it's a fair bet that before you know it you'll be singing little songs to your puppy (if you don't already, that is), and you'll want to include the puppy's name in the song.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. You don't have to be nuts to be a member; but it certainly helps ;)

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello! Welcome! Do try figure out the photos, we'd love to see him.

OOoooo - are we helping with names? My favourite...:D:D:D

I love @snowbunny's list of previous pet names! I've had some dodgy ones, I think....Hutch, Starsky, Kojack (it was the 1970s....), Brutus (GSD), Jason, Jupiter, Sprite, Lady Helena, and Simona (that one was a terrible name, lovely horse though).

I liked Jupiter - we shortened it to "Jups". Very nice, sensible name for a black Lab I thought.

20. snowbunny

Hehe. "Me and my Shadow" is a good one. I don't have one for Willow, but I do frequently make up words to The William Tell Overture by Rossini. My favourite is:

"Smelly bum, smelly bum, smelly bum bum bum,
    Smelly bum, smelly bum, smelly bum bum bum.
    Smelly bum, smelly bum, smelly bum bum bum,
    Smelly buuuuuuuum, smelly bum bum bum."

Has anyone else noticed that OP has gone very quiet? I can't imagine why.... :rolleyes: