Fox red puppies

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by boogs83, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

I think it's more to do with interpretation of the breed standard. Look at pictures of labs from when the breed standard was first written to labs who have won best if show recently there is a difference. Various proprtions and features have been emphasised over the years. Yet they are judged according to the same (there may be some slight alterations) description.

2. Debs

Debs Registered Users

I get this all the time! "Is she crossed with a Visular?", "is she crossed with a Pointer?" Or "what is she?" !!! Just smile and walk away! ;)

3. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

My boy has the cutest little white patches at the base of his front paws.

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Perhaps 'working' now is not the same as 'working' when the standard was set. For example if double coats were an advantage then they would be bred for. Better food and fleece/neoprene jackets may have made them surplus to requirements.

I don't think speed has come at the expense of these things. It wouldn't be hard to reintroduce double coats to fast dogs if they were needed. I find it hard to argue that the standard is the 'best' lab when dogs that fit the standard are not more successful in field trials. I don't mean that competition dogs should have poor conformation as that's ultimately a health issue but height and build are less obvious and I've already wondered about the coat..... I don't see that strong jaws are missing or carrying game all day would be an issue and in the UK I guess the amount of swimming required varies significantly.

I guess I'm just happier with greater variety than many people :D

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I was just saying if the owners of working line Labs want to disregard the breed standard - for whatever reason, that they disagree with it, that they don't think it makes for a good working dog, whatever - that's fine, but then don't be upset or surprised when people don't recognise the dog as a Labrador! Because it is deliberate on your part - you have deliberately bought a dog that has not been bred to a standard look. Isn't that, after all, exactly what you wanted in buying a working line Labrador?

6. bbrown

I don't disagree with that in the slightest :D

Oberon and JulieT like this.
  7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

8. bbrown

I'm just not sure the argument that the standard describes the perfect working labrador is true but that's a whole other debate!!!! :D

9. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I also think when given advertising and marketing tools that depict what the general public's perception of a labrador ie the Andrex puppy and films such as Marley and me.. it is understandable that most people would question the heritage of some working labradors. Looking at it from another point...does it matter? Usually the question re: what has your dog been crossed with would be asked out of interest. There is such a variance across all breeds now, labradors being one example.

bbrown likes this.
  10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Who said that? :)

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Although....let's assume it doesn't. Let's assume it's irrelevant.

I'd be really delighted to see a science based analysis of the best structure for the working Labrador. I don't mind if the dogs are purple, orange...whatever. But I'd be thrilled if someone did some analysis of this 'form following function' and could actually describe what that looks like, even if there are variations on it.

12. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Going back to fox red puppies....
    All three of the labs on the common this morning were fox red!

Xxx

Naya likes this.
  13. bbrown

Maybe I've interpreted this incorrectly but that's what I took from this:

14. bbrown

I'm all up for that otherwise it's just a bunch of opinions. For example I've picked up on five different shoots now. Riley hasn't been required to swim on any of them and that doubtless colours my opinion and I'm lacking in basic evidence when the lab is supposed to be a swimmer.

Beanwood likes this.
  15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well, yes. Maybe at this point we should have a new thread....it's getting interesting. :)

bbrown likes this.
  16. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Back to your Vet, I think it's unlikely he/she was taught or tried to learn on his/her own the breed standard for all the dogs breeds, cat breeds, or those of any other of the many species they might deal with in a small animal practice.

I am amazed there are judges at conformation shows who DO judge many, many different breeds. One I know of can judge all breeds in 7 different groups and he is allowed/able to judge BIS. How can one person remember all the details of each breed that would entail?

17. bbrown

The breed standards aren't very long. I'm sure it's not that hard to know several in some detail. Getting hands on plenty of dogs to understand what that translates to might be harder I suppose :)

18. boogs83

boogs83 Guest

Wow looks like I've started something here:) everyone is right we got Albie because he is different and personally I love the fox red look even if it is only classed as a shade of yellow! I wouldn't expect members of the public to know what breed he is, just that the vets might have a idea of what they are working on. Maybe if they spent less time trying to sell there so called wonder food they would have more time to educate themselves;)

Naya and drjs@5 like this.
  19. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

None of my vets, and there have been a few, recognised my last dog as an Italian Spinone, and none of the them have got my Abyssinian cats identified. Have to say it doesn't bother me, I'm visiting them for their knowledge on animal health, not their ability to identify the huge number of breeds of cats and dogs.

Cath likes this.
  20. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Labs have webbed feet for swimming!

bbrown and JulieT like this.