Going to try a Halti and feeling sad

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Newbie Lab Owner, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

That's what I was doing but as he grew the lead I had was too much for me to cope with and I started to get in a right muddle with it. Our aim is that on walks when on lead, he will be beside us not sniffing and distracted. Off lead he will have cues, which we have been working on, to either be walking beside us or able to free sniff.

2. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

@Newbie Lab Owner It was demonstrated to us by us just holding one end of the lead over our shoulder with Susan holding the other and moving forward. When the lead goes taut the urge is very strong to pull against it to move forward, the small step forward reduces that urge, you still need to cue for attention, re-position and move forward again

I know I mentioned the Wolter lead which I've just looked at again which has 3 options for length and is very easily adjusted even while walking. I always put my hand through the loop and grip the lead whatever length I'm using as this gives the best grip on the lead and is difficult for a dog to pull the lead free from your hand (compared to just holding the end).

http://dapperdog.co.uk/collections/leads/products/padded-training-lead-in-3-widths

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2016
  3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Taking a step is fine, but only if the dog doesn't continue to pull when you do ie your attention getting noise works - if the dog moves forward when you do, you'll end up 'following the dog', which you don't want to do.

4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Totally agree, but a battle of wills at the end of a taut leash isn't what you want to do either. I guess at the end of the day there isn't just one technique, it's what works for you and your dog

Newbie Lab Owner likes this.
  5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

No, that's right - loads of ways to do it. The dog has to have stopped though, for you to take a step. If he is still actively pulling forward, rather than stopped but with tension. he'll move forward, the lead goes tight again, then you were back where you were. So it depends on what the dog does - it'll work for some, and not others.

6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I think the real key is not to be wanting to go anywhere!

All our walks up to nine months old are purely training walks - I don't try to get anywhere. That way the dog doesn't know the route (neither do I most of the time!) and you are in no hurry and can concentrate on how they walk, not on getting there - which I am sure the dog picks up on.

:)

7. Newbie Lab Owner

I've been trying it out with Dexter this morning, once the tension gets released its easier to get his attention back. Mind you, he didn't really pull that much either and no over the top scent on the ground today :D
    I'll take a look at the link to the lead :)

8. Newbie Lab Owner

That is very similar to one that I have. Today I used my shorter bungee one, it still gives Dexter plenty of slack but much easier for me not to have to contend with extra that I'm not using. I had his harness on just in case I needed to grab him in an emergency but attached the lead to his collar. He was very good.

9. Newbie Lab Owner

It's great getting all the advice and then finding out which method or a combination of methods is the best for your dog.

Boogie likes this.
  10. Newbie Lab Owner

I agree but this was this was the first time in the last few weeks that he didn't pull my arm.
    Shame my GoPro videos from today will not copy over from my laptop to Flickr, I'll have to work on that :rolleyes:, as they show the problems I've been having.

After watching them back, I can see what the problems are.
    1- my treat delivery
    2- distractions
    3- too much unnessasary lead for me to cope with, just gets in my way, slips through my hands when he pulls, so he gets his self reward by getting what he wants
    These were the most obvious.

In this video, I had 1 spot on, 2 wasn't an issue and 3 was more workable until we got to a couple of distractions, then I struggled although that's not shown as I couldn't have got my phone out let alone hold it to film.

If I'd known the other videos wouldn't copy over, I wouldn't have put this one on as it is totally the opposite of what I've been experiencing of late with the arm wrenching pulling.

On the plus side, I do think we are back on track.
    Fish4dogs being delivered today :D
    I have my lead/collar/harness set up now how I can manage it, even when we are with distractions.
    I've taken bits and pieces from everyone's tips and put them together to make my training plan :)

I'm grateful that I can now nip this problem in the bud before it got even worse.

11. betty wiseman

betty wiseman Registered Users

Im a newbie to this forum as well and believe me you arent alone. Every other day im working with my pup on a few things.

My pup is crated because i have came home to her destroying carpet, making a pool in my whole home, and she chases the cat to the point of grabbing his butt.

Anyways my point is everyday i try working with her on sitting in the crate before being released because she tends to enjoy nipping which turns into biting. Once she sits ill open the crate for her to come out, but i have to grab her immediately to put leash on or she makes me chase her and she bites my fingers/hand.
    Some days she can be so obedient and others it can be very tough. Just when I think im accomplishing goals with her it changes.

12. Newbie Lab Owner

It sounds like you're having a tough time at the moment. I would suggest not to chase your pup as it can make life more difficult as they often love to be chased you'll end up chasing for longer and longer.

13. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

How long is you pup crated betty?

Many of these behaviours are due to boredom and frustration. Plenty of training, walks and interaction with people every day and pups will quickly learn.

Imagine you being left alone with no company, no TV, phone or books to read. Dogs are social animals, just as we are and need our company.

Two or three hours alone are fine, when older, if trained to it - any longer will lead to real behaviour and mental difficulties (just as it would in a child!)

Stacia likes this.
  14. Newbie Lab Owner

@betty wiseman, I do lots and lots of training throughout the day with Dexter, some simple games too. It has really helped to keep him occupied. Also l reward him when he's settled, this worked wonders.

15. Newbie Lab Owner

After a few difficult weeks, I'm pleased to say we seem to be back on track. Now that my awful cough has eased somewhat and I'm actually getting some sleep I realise how awful I'd actually been feeling in myself.
    Dexter still has the occasional tug on the lead, I think he forgets he's got it on sometimes when he gets distracted :rolleyes: but in general we are doing much better. I do forget, due to his size, that he is still a puppy who is still learning how to behave in our fast moving world with so many distractions.
    I've gone back to basics in some of our training but also working on helping Dexter to improve his self control.
    The shorter bungee lead I am finding easier to handle, he still has plenty of loose lead when walking beside me and enough slack if he gets a bit too far in front. Often correcting himself when he feels it start to tighten up. The bungee also gives me time to stop before he pulls most of the time. As he still has the occasional delinquent moment I went back to using the harness as much safer for his neck.
    I always make sure we have plenty of time and I'm never in a rush to get to anywhere.
    He's a very sociable puppy and I'm sure we will make good progress.
    We have 3 gates to go through to get out of our garden and Dexter sits at each as I open them, waits until I tell him to walk through with me, sits whilst I shut them, looks lovingly up to me waiting for the C&T, which I do after the gate is shut. I have lengthened this at times to after 2 or 3 gates but don't want to push him too hard for now. If he gets the C&T after the 2nd or 3rd gate, I do give him a few pieces of kibble not just the one. He also does this at the back door. My OH is now going to do exactly the same as I saw that he just walks out of the door. Generally Dexter has always been good at this as for many weeks when he was younger I had only the use of one arm. It's like getting out of Fort Knox :D
    Today as I opened the last gate, who should be sat two foot away but our neighbours cat :eek:. Barney the cat doesn't back off, I quickly clicked Dexter for looking and he turned to me for a treat, then he barked but I asked him to sit which he did, Barney didn't move, I C&T Dexter again for his calmness, closed the gate and off we went on our walk. I felt very proud of Dexter, he didn't pull me, he just forgot about Barney :D
    We had a great walk and worked on recall over the wet muddy field. I'm pleased to say it was great to have Dexter running full speed back to me again. I will not be using my precious recall whistle to call him back from balls and chuckers again for a long time, if ever.
    Oh and he found a ball in the long grass and thought that was great fun bringing it to me.
    Originally I was going to go to the beach to work on his self control first but it was too wet and windy to sit up there today. I'm glad we did what we did though and he had a great time today. Very waggy tail searching for his ball or a treat, playing chase me, ready steady ............, some stop whistle training, off lead heel work and steadying. Very happy puppy and me. :D:D:D
    And I've found a fairly local gundog trainer that I'm in the process of booking a 1-2-1 session with.
    Thursday is sheep proofing training.
    Thank you all for your invaluable help in getting us both back on track, I'm truly grateful.
    Donna :)

16. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

I get this as well - train the OH as well as the dog :rolleyes:.

It's sounds as if you are doing brilliantly with Dexter, well done Donna :).

17. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Exactly ! It can be really hard to get this point across though :)

18. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Well done Donna, I'm thrilled for you and Dexter. You have really worked incredibly hard you should be so proud of yourself. Xx

19. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Great to hear you sounding so much happier and making really good progress. I have to say Molly would have lunged at the cat!

20. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Glad your feeling better Donna, you sound really happy and positive. Well done Dexter xx :)