Grumbling and rumbling

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Saba's Boss, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Saba's Boss

Saba's Boss Registered Users

Recently, our previously quiet boy has started grumbling, making a low-level sound like a benign growl, or a deep sigh. This sometimes happens when he lays down, or when he's been in his bed for a while, or if he's just been sitting quietly without any direct interaction from us. It's really odd, as if he's letting me know he's fed up with something :confused::confused:

Saba is not a noisy dog, rarely barks, and only whines to be let out to use the garden. Aside from being mildly amused by these new 'old man' noises, I'm curious as to whether or not this is normal for Labradors. We once had an English Springer that liked to sing in the car, but Saba is a silent traveller! Are there any other rumbler/grumblers out there?

2. PawPrints

PawPrints Registered Users

Jake will do this when he gets bored and wants my attention or when he wants to let me know he isn't happy about something.

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Willow grumbles quite a lot. When she flops, when she stretches, when she yawns... all accompanied by a groan :)

4. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

Uuum :D Well little Molly, almost 7 month old girly has a fantastic line in really old man snores !

She also sings along with a squeaky ball I bought - not realising it was a squeaker - and yes, sighs for England when she flops down on her 'day' bed.
    She is also a 'silly noise' barker when she wants our attention, its a sort of yap while she stares at us with a silly smile, adorable really :p

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie was pretty much silent until he was a year old - he is a really vocal dog now. Moans, groans, makes sounds like a pod of whales, and whines at the drop of a hat. Doesn't really bark though.

6. MF

MF Registered Users

Snowie has a funny sound he makes, too -- it's a very human sound that you can make by keeping you mouth closed and kind of hum in a groaning kind of way. He does it when he's begging. It is the most endearing sound!! We do love it!

He also has lots of other sounds, some of which sound like "good morning"! Also little squeaks in the morning just to let us know he is awake in his bed and that he wouldn't mind if we were awake, too, but he's keeping very quiet just in case we're still asleep (or so it sounds to us). And those sighs and groans -- expressing such disappointment at not getting the walk he expected! I really didn't know a dog could have such a large vocabulary of sounds until I met Snowie -- but then I've never had a dog sleep in the bedroom and spend so much time together with.

Naya, Kelsey Danielle and PawPrints like this.
  7. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Hehe Ella does this too! The OH and I like to join in so she knows she's part of the family :D

MF likes this.
  8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Bruce makes all sorts of honks and hoots!

:cool::p

9. MF

MF Registered Users

We also make the same sounds as Snowie! There are a lot of groans and squeaks and sighs and mmms in our house made by dog and humans. We're not sure whether he learned the sounds from us or whether we learned them from him!

Saba's Boss likes this.
  10. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Stanley makes some dead funny noises!

I keep telling him if he doesn't stop huffing and puffing he'll "blow the house down"

MF and Saba's Boss like this.
  11. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Benson makes really bizarre noises..sometimes he "sings" in the back of the car..or "sings" to his toys....

12. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Belle used to groan and rumble a lot. She did it when she appeared contented and resting.

13. Saba's Boss

Saba's Boss Registered Users

Saba is now busy looking for the squeaky pup!

14. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Axel moans and groans all the time. Always has. He is the most vocal dog I know lol. I certainly know when he isn't impressed :rofl:

We often say he is speaking whale, like Dory on Finding Nemo!

15. MF

MF Registered Users

Aawww!!!! Adorable.

16. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Tuppence has come to investigate and is now trying to get a sleeping Wispa to play - I shall have to close the page! :)

17. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

hehehe! Sorry! :wasntme:

18. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I miss Doug's happy gruff woof went he used to see me. Such a strange noise but it sounds happy

edzbird likes this.
  19. xxryu139xx

xxryu139xx Registered Users

Sparky does a growl when we play tug with each other. Kinda taught him to do it. I'm trying to teach him to bark by going "woof woof!" but just a silent inquisitive stare.

20. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

That is hilarious! I see what Julie means about the "pod of whales".... Simba was fast asleep and came racing downstairs and stood staring at me with the most puzzled look on his face.....:rofl: