"Hallo" from a Californian in Bavaria

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Emily_BabbelHund, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

That's really interesting - I didn't know that most were crosses. Makes sense, though. But I suppose they breed only for Guide Dogs and have their own very strict breeding programs. I was reading (I think here?) about Guide Dog "washouts" that are sometimes available, but as I'm not in the UK that's not an option.

Still, it's good for me to learn more about what makes for a successful Guide Dog candidate as that also carries over to Assistance Dog work (though I think the life of an Assistance Dog is quite a bit easier in most cases than a Guide Dog).

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, withdrawn pups often go on to become hearing dogs, sniffer dogs etc.

:)

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Do you think you'd be more interested in a working line Labrador, rather than a show line lab? I'm just asking, because you visited two DRC breeders, and I'm wondering whether a show line lab might actually suit your peripatetic lifestyle better? Working line labs can sometimes be rather sensitive little flowers... Maybe you'll find the perfect match for you at the Leipzig show! But you could also consider going to a couple of working tests, to give yourself an idea of what all the different breeds of retrievers are capable of. There are plenty coming up, here is the link to the DRC events: http://www.drc.de/adr/listen/events.php#LiStart

Very happy to help with any questions you may have :)

4. mcatalao

mcatalao Registered Users

Oh come one, you came to Europe traveled the continent and didn't come to Portugal? Big Fail!
    Anyway, welcome to the group! Sad to know about your Rottweiller. And good luck wit your new lab.

5. Emily_BabbelHund

But OF COURSE I've been to Portugal! Beautiful country and lovely people. I've just never stayed too long as I don't speak Portuguese so it's more of a "passing through" thing so far (I live in Cadiz in Spain and southern Germany, so have gone through Portugal driving between the two).

mcatalao likes this.
  6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oh, I have a good friend from Cadiz. He owns a tapas restaurant in my village (Soldeu, Andorra) called La Caleta after the beach there. I'd love to visit one day.

7. Emily_BabbelHund

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the link - I'd found the site but hadn't really thought to check out he working trials yet. Sounds like fun and a good idea.

As to working vs. show, that really the first query I wanted to start here after this little intro volley. I've been reading through old posts firsts as I don't want to ask the same question that has probably been answered many times before. My reflex from my Rottie experience is to scream "SHOW LINE ONLY!!!" as it is much more clear cut within that breed. You don't do Schutzhund, you DON'T want a working line Rottie.

Like I said, I'll ask later under a separate post, but what is important to me is (1) health, (2) stability in the face of constant change, (3) ability and love of learning, (4) ability to get along with all creatures great and small, (5) affection/love bug quotient, (6) overall "chilled-outness". It seems to me that #2 and #6 are more a show line trait and #3 is more of a field line trait. So... I'm confused? I do have to say so far the dog I've seen that I liked the best was a cross of show and field lines.

Ugh - so much to learn!

8. Emily_BabbelHund

It's really a wonderful place - Cadiz is said to be the oldest city in Europe and is often a movie stand in for Havana. It has a cool vibe. I live in Cadiz province, not the city. Just lots of cows and fields and the odd naked sunbathing German. ;-)

drjs@5 and snowbunny like this.
  9. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

Hi Emily,
    Welcome the forum :)
    There is a lot of information on the main website that you might find useful too, if you haven't checked it out already.
    I'd start with work vs show here, and also look at the characteristics article.
    Best of luck with your puppy search!

10. Emily_BabbelHund

Hi Lucy,

Thanks! All the great articles on the main website are actually how I found the forum. I think I started out with the article on chocolates and went from there. :)

11. IreneM

IreneM Registered Users

Hi and welcome from Jesse and myself, first time Lab owner. He is 13 weeks now and I wouldn't trade him for anything :)

12. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley is a field lab. Her mum was a police dog and her dad is a gun dog. I know I have been really lucky with her temperament as she loves to be worked, but also loves snuggles. I don't think it really matters in terms of show/field, I think it's more about the temperament of the parents / experience of the breeder.

13. lorilou61

lorilou61 Registered Users

Hello and welcome from me and Edsel!

14. Emily_BabbelHund

Hi and thanks Irene and Jesse! I have to admit that some of the puppy stories on here have my eyes popping out. It seems that Labs are a bit more challenging as puppies than the other breeds I've had. Or since I've not had a puppy for the past 13 years, maybe I just forgot. ;-)

I'm glad you and Jesse are getting on so well and look forward to some stories and pics!

15. Emily_BabbelHund

Thanks Lori and Edsel... what a wonderful face Edsel has!!!

lorilou61 likes this.
  16. IreneM

IreneM Registered Users

I thought I would buy some pillows for our couch, well it was a nice thought. As soon as I placed the first on our couch our little croco pup decided it should be his and he try to steal it of the couch. So I placed them back in the back and hopefully when he is older we can use them lol. Our Vacuum and mop are his enemies he will jump up and down and barks. I love the little man but he can be a handful at times lol.

17. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi there,
    I live in Dubai with our first dog Dexter and I'm late saying hello to you as I've been in the UK for a couple of months but just wanted to stop by now and say hi after reading your lovely intro post.What a wonderful life Brogan had with you !I also think you sound pretty amazing too!
    Looking forward to following the story of your search for your next dog,
    Bye for now
    Angela x

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  18. Emily_BabbelHund

Hi Angela,

Thanks for the nice greeting! I've been reading about the famous Dexter who lives in Dubai. :) Sounds like a real adventure keeping him cool in the heat (and maybe why he is wearing the cool sunglasses!).

Brogan was indeed a fabulous boy and we had wonderful adventures together. I still love traveling but it's just not the same without him. I also know that at this point, if he could, he'd be telling me to get my act together and get another dog already. I've had an intriguing summer of researching dog breeds (attending shows, breeder visits, cornering people and their dogs on the street) so now the great search for an actual breeder begins. Hopefully I'll find "the one" and then will be on here asking questions about my Crocopup like everyone else!

19. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah I'm reading a book at the moment written by John Morgan an injured US soldier about his life with Napal his assistance dog.....I've got to the inevitable in their story and I've had to put it down for a while ,so reading about your life with Brogan really touched me .... especially the image of him on a vaporetto in Venice...your next dog is in for some right adventures x

20. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Should I be buying up shares in Kleenex, Angela? ;)

Dexter likes this.